Who Metal Detects here?

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
I have for years and years wanted to get a metal detector and look for coins and relics. I just bought one and of course where I live, the ground is frozen for the next couple of months so I can't get out. I am also talking Janik into getting one so we can go terrorize parks and old school yards as a team. He is dragging his feet on getting his though...We are threatening a trip to Arizona to detect for gold nuggets.

Anyone do it? Any luck? Any tips?

I have one though I don't get out much with it. I bought a Tesoro about five years ago. It's a lot of fun. I've found some interesting things like an old lead toy car...but nothing really valuable.

The biggest successes with detecting come from researching where old buildings are that haven't been detected before. Which usually means private land. Which also means getting permission.

Most of my detecting has been in parks. Though the lead toy car I found in my own back yard.

Good luck and have fun

After seeing a show on TV my wife wants one. We live on property that was a dairy and goes back at least a 100 yrs.

Always finding old stuff, horse shoes, machinery parts, etc. Found a dry brick lined well so small only a child could fit in, like 20" X 14" pulled up a bunch of stuff with a pole with a hook on the end then covered it.

But yeah I'm interested in a detector, need to do a little research.

Mark

Yes I want one too after watching "Diggers" on TV. Those guys travel to historic battefields and old homesteads and find a bunch of valuables. Kaye wants to go to old houses and barnyards around here. I think it would be a great hobby. I could build the special digger knife too.
Which one should I get?

I bought mine in the late 80's with the proceeds of a $500 scratch ticket . That was pretty much the end of my good fortune. I do the beaches at the east end of the Cape Cod canal to replenish my fishing supplies. Lots of fishing weights and lures, a few knives and flash lights, lots of pop tops from cans. The best so far is a 1919 dime that was wedged between rocks at the breakwater. Locally, I was stopped by the police in a local school yard and was told I needed permission to "dig up" the lawn. I was only using a large flat head screw driver, very unobtrusive. I'll stick to the beaches. Great exercise and once in the zone, time flies by quickly. I was told years ago to try along stone walls and around big old trees on old farm property because they burried everything of value back then.....I'm still broke.

Rudy

There's an old farmstead on my grandparent's place I've been dying to search with a detector. The only evidence that people lived there at all is a depression in the ground where the old cistern was, and occasional bits of plates or marbles or whatever. I doubt there's anything valuable there (the folks were poor, by all accounts) but I'm sure there's plenty that's interesting.

Hypothetically, what kind of detector should one try to acquire?

I have only recently looked into this and I ended up purchasing a minelab e-track. I was also looking at a whites V3i which is a close competitor to the e-track. These are good coin and relic finders. Other detectors specialize in salt wet sand for coast beach detecting. Others specialize in looking for gold nuggets. The Fisher F75 gets rave reviews for finding deep coins. The Garrett 250 or 350 are very popular for good price/performance.

The guys on the diggers show use a Garrett AT Pro and they seem to do well with them.

I have a cheap one and would like to upgrade. I keep it in the truck and when out scouting or fishing I'll look in old camp sites or foundations, etc. out in grasslands of E Colo. or where ever. Haven't found anything of any real value (small change, old toys, old hardware, etc) yet but wildly optimistic. Had a guy tell me to always check under fence posts around old yards as they used to bury jars of coins under them for safe keeping, and he found a jar.

Hi Tracy
minelab is a good machine, how many pull tabs have you found? lol,
Tip. No ground is hunted out
Frozen ground helps burps coins up closer to the top
Hunt after a lighting storm
Make sure you dont leave holes open after dig

Just have fun... Ed

Hi Tracy
minelab is a good machine, how many pull tabs have you found? lol,
Tip. No ground is hunted out
Frozen ground helps burps coins up closer to the top
Hunt after a lighting storm
Make sure you dont leave holes open after dig

Just have fun... Ed

I know frozen ground pushes stones up but didn't think of coins doing that.
I haven't had a chance yet to use it since it is all frozen tundra in Minnesota right now but the thaw is coming soon...

Hi Tracy
Do you have a pinpointer? They help to find what you dig up, and have you taken the batteries out of your machine this winter? When using Minelab sweep slow, then go slower lol , also your going to find a lot of pull tabs lol. Try to hunt on private property that have old houses on them, around old trees, side walks, places that was used for meetings along time ago, old home steads, and don't forget meteorites. If your thinking about taking a trip to hunt for gold you might look at buying one that is made to hunt for gold , the one you have well find gold but not like you think. I could go on and on but im not good posting, i like the phone much better. There's days you don't find anything and days you do great, just have fun.... Ed

I do have a Garrett pin pointer.
the more I read on the minelab etrak, the more I understand I will need a gold specific unit if I go nugget hunting. Thats down the road so I'll deal with that later.
4 more inches of snow last night and 6 more on the way tonight. Looks like it will be awhile before I get out around here..

Back