Who is your favorite bali maker?

Bali's really never really caught my eye until I started seeing some of the eye-candy works from balibalistic, Les Voorhies and a few others. Balis are great looking knives, but I can't flip one to save my ass...prolly send my self to the ER unsure, so I never bought one. They look like a lot of fun though. I guess I like balibalistic and Les's balis the best so far from a visual perspective. -Matt-

Marlowes are fine and so are the balis by Balibalistic aka Shawn Grecian. I have several balis from Chris Olofson of 29Knives fame that are exceptional along with work by Ikoma, Dobruski, the aforementioned Les George, the late Ron Miller, John Salley, and of course the most prolific of all being the Bali-Song, Inc./Pacific Cutlery Company/Benchmade customs......

At this point in time, Shawn Grecian makes as a fine a bali as a person could want, IMHO. :)

Chris Olofson (29 Knives).

I've never came accross one of Les' balis but I dig his Exacto-Bali.
Here's #2, currently back at Les's for a Spa treatment.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Les Bali2 A.jpg
    Les Bali2 A.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 143
Les George, BaliBalistic, and Jody Sampson....my favs...but all in all I like 98% of the ones I see. :)

I have to agree with Mr. Draven. Not alot I've seen that I don't like in the custom arena. I forgot to mention Audra Draper's beauties as well along with Begg who doesn't seem to be making any bali's at this time. Saw Mr. George's no. 1. Beautiful tanto grind imho.

Flavio Ikoma, Charles Marlowe and of course Shawn Greacen. I could add ten names to the list without thinking though. Lots and lots of great makers out there now.

FYI.....Jody never 'made' any balis, he ground the blades for B-S, Inc., PCC and BM Custom Shop, MANY THOUSANDS OF BLADES. ;)

Actually, Jody did make 7 or 8 sole authorship balis, he just did not enjoy doing the machining of the handles. Here is one example:

orig.jpg

- examonlyf photo, used with permission.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dobruski, Olofson, Guinn, Voorhies...too many to list.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorites are Charles Marlowe and Flavio Ikoma. I've owned a ton of balis before, but theirs are the only ones that I've hung onto.

I've never handled Shawn Greacen's work before, but I am really impressed with pics that I've seen of it.

There is also one bali I had by Deryk Munroe that I never should have let go.

Back