Which Grinder to buy?

jwood

I've been making knives for several years and finally built a 2x72, all out of wood even turned the wheels, and it works well but not great. For the $60 I have in it it's way better than my 1x30. I currently have $400 and am looking at an entry line, production grinder for stock removal, mostly flat and saber grinds. I've narrowed it down to three grinders:
Grizzly - $495 + shipping
Coote 2x6x72 - $447 + shipping
Polar Bear Forge Flat SLING grinder kit - $115 + shipping + hardware + wheels

Now I currently have a 1hp Craftsman motor so the motor isn't an issue for the Coote or Sling grinder. However the sling grinder doesn't have a work rest, easy enough fix for the price; but is it rigid enough to hog off steel?
What are yalls thoughts?

I have a coote and a friend has the grizzly. Of the two I'd take the coote with step pulleys. I haven't tried the sling. Can you add a contact wheel to it? Or even a small wheel holder? If you can and it's more cost effective with add-ons and you don't mind putting it together it may be comperable to the coote. Another option is just building your own 3 wheel with steel or aluminum.

Go for the Coote! I purchased one of the 2 x 72 x 8" almost 20 years ago and it still works great. You can get rolling with Step pulleys and move up to a Variable later when you have the funds. That's what i did.

Also you can use darn near any motor of a 1 HP or larger. I found an open non TEFC 2 HP 1750 RPM for like $40.00 Worked great, just don't get it wet.

Or check out the DVD at my Grinders page on my web-site and build your Moe's Grinder.

Let me know if I can help.

Thanks for all the advice! I think I've decided on the Coote. Assuming I should get it with the ceramic platen liner?

Google OREGON BLADE MAKER. I bought one from him at his ebay store as my second grinder and it is top shelf quality. I own a KMG as well so I know a good grinder when I see/use one. The OBM chassis with flat platen attachment is only $495 and it smokes the Grizzly and Coote in every way possible. Buy the chassis with flat platen attachment for $495 then pick yourself up a 1.5HP motor and you'll have a VERY good set-up for under $750 total ! The Grizzly and Coote will not even come close in versatility and quality. there are a few youtube reviews out there to watch as well :)

Last edited:
Coote has been around for a long time and many makers have had good service from them. There are a lot of start-ups the last few years trying to break into the low end grinder market. Time will tell if they will last or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Google OREGON BLADE MAKER. I bought one from him at his ebay store as my second grinder and it is top shelf quality. I own a KMG as well so I know a good grinder when I see/use one. The OBM chassis with flat platen attachment is only $495 and it smokes the Grizzly and Coote in every way possible. Buy the chassis with flat platen attachment for $495 then pick yourself up a 1.5HP motor and you'll have a VERY good set-up for under $750 total ! The Grizzly and Coote will not even come close in versatility and quality. there are a few youtube reviews out there to watch as well :)

I'm glad you posted this. I youtube'd his stuff and it looks very impressive. I just now bought his tool rest. That thing is slick!

If you like that design you should check out Wilmont grinders. They have a forum here and designed the original grinder that is copied and sold on Ebay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was unaware of that. I don't need a second grinder right now, but when I do I will definitely check out Wilmont. I'm all for innovation, but I am not big on biting someone's designs and undercutting the price, especially when the original is a sponsor.

Back