Where to find???

jaxxas

Hello!

I'm new here, looking to get into knife making. I have a Pheer 454 on order, still waiting for 3-4 weeks. But I've really been thinking a surface type grinder would be very useful. So while browsing YouTube videos I came across the video below. Can anyone tell me where to find a similar magnetic chuck? I have it in my mind to build a surface grinder attachment for my soon to be mine belt grinder. I would prefer a on/off magnetic chuck, and I've found some on EBAY, but they are odd sized. Not that I couldn't make them work, but I would prefer a 3" x 10" or so magnetic chuck.

Any help is appreciated!

Well I tried to post the embedded video below but it doesn't seem to work like other forums, hopefully you will get the idea!
Finally got it to work!

<font color="#BBBBBB"><span style="font-family: Roboto">[video=youtube;qTsWK2wH26Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTsWK2wH26Y[/video]

Last edited:
I would keep a eye on Ebay....you might have to look/watch for a period of time before you find exactly what you want. Otherwise, I would say try MSC, Enco, Traver's Tool, or McMaster-Carr. The hitch is going to be that the size you mentioned in your post is actually a very odd size for a mag chuck..... so if you can find that size, it's going to be at a premium price, especially a new one. Just a bit of advice..... do not buy anything other then a fine pole mag chuck.... for most knifemaking applications a standard pole (standard or fine pole is the spacing of the magnets) simply will not securely hold the thinner cross section pieces of steel we use.

You might try looking for magnetic parallel bars, you can find them in a longer length to width ratio than you can find in a magnetic chuck. They are permenate magnets though.

Thanks Ed, I was wondering about the difference between the fine and standard poles. I will check out the places you mentioned!

Back