What would you use?

Chef Niloc

So I want to make a kitchen knife roll. I have only worked with with the vag tan stuff. I'm going to use a 7-8 oz veg tan for the inside so I can wet mold the " pockets " for the knives. But what would you use for the backing/ out side lineing . I.E. The out side that will be seen when it's rolled up? I'm going for the ultra luxurious look. I would use shell*cordovan if I could find/ afford it. Any one have a idea of were I could get some oil tanned *cordovan butstraps? Or have other ideas on what they would use?
Colin

I can't help you on the cordovan, but if it were me I would use an exotic like shark. Dave:)

I can't help you on the cordovan, but if it were me I would use an exotic like shark. Dave:)

I was thincking alligator or crocodile but I kind of want more of that warm "old world" look, not vintage distressed, Something that looks like something a chef 100 years ago may of used, but left new.

Are you asking about Shell Cordovan or horse butt strips? Shell Cordovan is very high end and expensive, horse butt strips come from just above where they take the Shell Cordovan from on the horse and is generally just really dense veg-tan. You can get oil re-tanned horse butt strips from Brettun's Village Leather (they call them "North of Cordovan" strips) and I have to say that it's buttery soft stuff, and it doesn't feel oily, so I would guess that it would work well for you--just keep in mind that you can't dye it.

. You can get oil re-tanned horse butt strips from Brettun's Village Leather (they call them "North of Cordovan" strips) and I have to say that it's buttery soft stuff, and it doesn't feel oily, so I would guess that it would work well for you--just keep in mind that you can't dye it.
That's the stuff I'm talking about, but they say they were only selling out odd lots of the oil re-tanned stuff, all they have is the bark tanned straps. That stuff had to come from some were??as They are only a leather" flee market"

I get my horse but straps from Siegel, they have great stuff at a good price...but that shell stuff is a little to $$ for me & they all most never have it in stock.

That's the stuff I'm talking about, but they say they were only selling out odd lots of the oil re-tanned stuff, all they have is the bark tanned straps. That stuff had to come from some were??as They are only a leather" flee market"

I get my horse but straps from Siegel, they have great stuff at a good price...but that shell stuff is a little to $$ for me & they all most never have it in stock.

When I contacted them the ONLY had the oil re-tanned stuff, haha. It would be coming from the Horween Tannery in Chicago, but they want you to order 100lbs or more from them directly. I would say you should just go with some oil re-tanned cowhide, or some sort of veg-tan or brain-tan that's soft enough to roll.

Back