What would be the recomended tonage for a hydraulic press?

Thunter124

Semester is finally over and I have an entire summer to work out in the shop. I've been trying a couple of things with my forge the past couple of days, and I have come to the conclusion that everything I have is too big for forging. I've got me a 20ton pump hydraulic press from harbor freight that I got for christmas, the bottle-jack is just a little to slow to use too effectively so I was looking at getting an automated system to put in the press to make working the stock down more manageable sizes. So what would be the recommended tonnage for forging, I know bigger is better, but I can't quite swing a couple grand for a heavy press just yet(eventually, but not yet)

I pass by a motion industries warehouse and distribution site every day to work now, so if anyone knows of a good system to buy from them, all the better.

20 ton is what the majority build. Some build 25 ton but again, the majority is 20 ton. That seems to be a sweet spot for price & performance.

Thanks BossDog, helps narrow down what I'm looking for, I now need to figure out what to do about press plates, probably go to one of the nearby steel shops and get them to cut me a couple flat plates and a couple with 1-3/8 inch semicircular chanels to drop some of my hardened 1045 rod into. Other than my idea, yall got. Any recommendations?

In general....
20-25 tons is the norm. My press is adjustable from 24-30 tons, and it's almost always at 24-25. Larger tonnage presses tend to cause more damage than good, unless there is a specific application where the Bladesmith needs higher tonnage (such as making "loaves" or creating huge billets.) My general rule of thumb is that whatever I'm working on does not get pressed any more than approx 1/4" at a pass/bite. Many who are not familiar with using a press have it in their head(s) that they can take for example, a 1" thick piece, and "press" it down to 1/8" in one stroke....all that does is wreck steel. A press is more about precision, taking small bites, with more control than a power hammer can offer.

The usual components you will see are.....
- 5hp/3450 rpm motor
-11gpm or better hydraulic pump
-6" or larger diameter cylinder (the amount of throw is up to you)
-Lots of HEAVY gauge steel for the frame, etc.
What must be considered and understood about a forging press is that you simply cannot "overbuild" one. There are so many incredible forces at work....in many different directions. For years I used a press that was built on a 6" "I" beam, with 1/2" flanges, and web.....it finally fatigued apart. The press I use not is based on a similar "I" beam design, but with much heavier materials....3/4" flanges, and web, with 3/8" thick "gusset" plates to help prevent flexing during use.

drop some of my hardened 1045 rod into
From that I get the impression that you're planning on using something "heat treated" for dies? If so, don't waste your time/money. It doesn't matter what heat treated type of steel you use for press dies, then will not last any longer than plain old A36 hot roll. Why? The intense heat from working hot steel will quickly temper out whatever you use for dies to the point where it's dead soft anyway. I once had the bright idea that I was going to purchase and build dies of D2 so they would last....I wasted about $300 on D2, all the time and effort to heat treat it, and within a month it was mushrooming out with the edges rolling just like A36. Since then, I use A36, and tack weld it to my die plates....then when it starts deforming, I just cut the tack welds, and replace the dies with a new piece of A36.

Unfortunately this project may be scrapped before it hits the starting gate. So far all the hydraulic cylinders I've been looking at, in the 20 ton range, have been at least $700 without the pumps to go along with it. So unless I can find a system in my price range I guess I'll be buying a 10# sledge and making a spring fuller.

and I'm just LOOKING for stuff to use all this 1045 for at this point, and its good and round so I figured it would make for a good fullering blocks

Coincidentally, how would a $100 harborfreight 20 ton air/hydraulic work? its just a modified bottlejack, but could it work good for a starting press?

Last edited:
Coincidentally, how would a $100 harborfreight 20 ton air/hydraulic work? its just a modified bottlejack, but could it work good for a starting press?

That has been done before (and is still being done) with a reasonable degree of success.
I'm not sure it can be as accommodating as a true hydraulic unit, but it has to be better than the elbow grease method. Plus, it's a project that will easier fit your budget, especially if you already have an air compressor.

Check out these links for ideas (not plans).
http://www.knivesplus.com/minihydraulicpress.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/TAToler

Alright then! That makes things a bit easier, looks like I'm going to have the full harbor freight set of tools pretty soon. Once we replace the our dead compressor I'll snag one and get some form of press running

Back