What to do here?

J S Machine

Wondering what some of you might do in this situation. In the very top of these Barlow slipjoint handle scales, there is a 3/32 pin hole. The center of the back spring also utilizes this hole. -Note the pointed pin pointing at the hole.- This is fossil walrus, and I'm afraid the peening is going to split it in that very small material area.

Any suggestions?

I thought of just peening a pin through the liners and back spring and grinding flush so the scale would sit flat, and then just putting cosmetic pins in the holes in the scales with epoxy or super glue, but I'm afraid they won't stay in place.

Screws are too late and not really an option, and I was hoping to keep the true Barlow look with pins.

IMG_20160507_110350_038_zps07idso3u.jpg

I agree, it is going to crack when you peen it together. Peening it together first and using a false pin may be the best option at this point without remaking the knife.

Yep. That's what I would do too. If you epoxy that false pin in, there is no way it's going to fall out. I'd do that with complete confidence on my own knives. I'd rough the pin up pretty good and chamfer the BACK side of the hole in the scale slightly to give the epoxy a little more of a pocket to grab the end of the pin. But yeah, I'd have no worries about that.

I don't think my Knifemaking skills are any better that Craig's or John's ,far from it but ,I would pien that pin. Drill the ivory out bigger with the next size number drill from 3/32",just drill about half the depth of the hole. Carefully pien a little on each side,flip pien,flip pien until you are satisfied the hole is filled. Don't pien it so that the head of the pin puts a lot of down force on the Ivory,just enough to fill the hole. I use this method on Pearl,Ivory,stag and anything else that is easy to crack and I have yet to crack anything.
Im afraid glueing the pin in will show a glue ring around your pin unless you provided for an already snug fitting pin.

I agree with Calvin that it should be more than possible (but perhaps somewhat difficult) to peen. Plenty of makers do it. If you have a scrap or two left over, give it a shot and get a little practice first.

HOWEVER, if you're still not comfortable, I'll also agree that some false pins loc-tited or epoxied into place will likely stay put.

Good luck!

Back