What do you use for a respirator?

• Particle Mask

• Half face mask

• Full face mask

• Other

• Nothing

Results are only viewable after voting.

springer82

There are more then a few choices when it comes to respirators. We all know the health hazards in what we do. What do you feel safe using. Feel free to give a review on your mask.

After my first lung surgery, more than a decade ago, and the 9 weeks spent recovering, I had a lot of time to research respirators. I chose the 3M 7600 series. Why choose it out of all the half face models? It's materials. Most other half face masks use one type or another of plastic for the face piece...... plastic gets hard/stiff when exposed to UV and human body oils (YOU WILL sweat in a mask as some point). Where as the 3M 7500 series mask has a silicon face piece.....which seal far better then plastic, and does not harden/deteriorate over time/exposure.

I believe that a respirator is like a grinder.....different one's work different, for different people, and finding a combination of PROTECTION and comfort means trying different ones, until you find the one that give you the best of both.....HOWEVER, THE GOAL IS PROTECTION! SOMETIMES YOU GOTTA ENDURE A BIT OF DISCOMFORT ACQUIRE PROTECTION.....BUT THAT'S JUST HOW IT IS. For me the 3M 7500 series does the best of both worlds. https://www.google.com/search?q=3M+7500+repirator&oq=3M+7500+repirator&aqs=chrome..69i57.6092j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Totally agree with Ed. The 3M 7502 with P100/N100 pancake filters is so comfortable for me that I leave it on sometimes because I forget to take it off.

I like the half face because I need to wear glasses with it, and all that fits under my face shield.

If RZ comes thru with the N95 rating for their filters in the near future I will probably stay with half mask and full face shield. If not I may be moving to a full face respirator/mask. I was considering a forced air system but I cant afford one of those now and the respirators I have are safe for the work that I do (not the RZ I have others).

After my first lung surgery, more than a decade ago, and the 9 weeks spent recovering, I had a lot of time to research respirators. I chose the 3M 7600 series. Why choose it out of all the half face models? It's materials. Most other half face masks use one type or another of plastic for the face piece...... plastic gets hard/stiff when exposed to UV and human body oils (YOU WILL sweat in a mask as some point). Where as the 3M 7500 series mask has a silicon face piece.....which seal far better then plastic, and does not harden/deteriorate over time/exposure.

I believe that a respirator is like a grinder.....different one's work different, for different people, and finding a combination of PROTECTION and comfort means trying different ones, until you find the one that give you the best of both.....HOWEVER, THE GOAL IS PROTECTION! SOMETIMES YOU GOTTA ENDURE A BIT OF DISCOMFORT ACQUIRE PROTECTION.....BUT THAT'S JUST HOW IT IS. For me the 3M 7500 series does the best of both worlds. https://www.google.com/search?q=3M+...rome..69i57.6092j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Same as I use. An excellent respirator which I chose after researching the same as you. The important thing to remember when folk are buying them is face size and fit. My face is small so I have to use the smallest version and the way to test if the mask fits is to take the filters off , cover the filter ports exhale and suck in deeply...the mask should suck to the face, practiced this 1000s of times in my fire service career. If it doesn't seal check for facial hair as you will not get a seal if excessive. Also clean the mask every few months in soapy water and it will serve you well . I was diagnosed with Asthma at 47 and I know your pain as being in A and E pointing at your throat as you have lost 3/4 of your lung capacity isn't fun and its scary as hell.

So good post might save someone a lot of stress and pain in the future, maybe even their life.....its that serious guys.

Last edited:
I use the 3M Versaflo Heavy Industry PAPR Kit TR-300-HIK, it's expensive but it's just too danged hot here in Arizona. I need the airflow and it keeps my glasses from fogging up.

Back