What happens if.... one answer

Knifemaker.ca

Dealer - Purveyor
Feel free to add more to this thread from personal experience. Had a customer send me a blade with misidentified steel. We figured it out but maybe this sort of information is useful to others trying to figure out what went wrong. Its why we Rockwell every blade. Hope it helps.

What happens if you Heat treat;

CPM154 as if it were O1? - about RHC 20 (dead soft!) - fixed by just doing normal CPM154 HT.

Rob!

I try very hard to keep steels identified but I have lost track a couple of times. I trashed both blades. Not being able to get an exact H/T wasn't worth it to me. Call me picky. LOL
However, if I were to try to figure it out I would try the lowest Austenizing temp. first and check the hardness. If HRC wasn't in the expected range I would do like you and try the higher temp. process and check the hardness. If that didn't work I'd toss it for sure. Thats another reason I'd toss it first. You could spend time on something you have to toss anyway but the main reason is I don't wanna put out something that I can't be 100% sure what it is and how its treated. But thats just me.

:) Picky!

Actually this guy only had a couple steels of that thickness in his shop, so it was less a mystery steel and more of a selection from the short list. I had a guy a couple years ago tell me that he heat treats 440C to non-magnetic with a torch and then quenches in used motor oil. Of course, he could skin three moose and a Volkswagen without sharpening. I never did try it, but I did wonder if he'd get hard steel with no alloy properties - or just unhardened steel. Though its not 440C here, I think it does offer a clue as to that question.

If I were an academic like Kevin, I could play in my shop all day answering such questions. (Duck and Cover :biggrin: ) ... but as it is, I have to make the best of unexpected circumstance.

Hello Rob,
I have limited HTing experience and have had paul bos at Buck knives do all my stainless.
Paul Bos himself use to do a differential HTing on 440C Ats-34 etc so I know that could be done by him anyway.

I personally did a 440C torched in a one brick to non-mag. quench in 30 weight oil that gave a servicable edge that would sing high with a file across it. I don't know if It would last for two moose and a Volkswagen? lol.

i use only basic high carbon right now; O1, 1084, and 1080+(80CrV2). I have been trying to engrave the steel type on the tang, but sometimes forget or cant read my writing. lucky that they all are heat to 1475 and quench in oil.
an old forgetful sailor

Back