What grind for a fillet knife

Chris Railey

I am finally finished with the Masters so now it is time to try and make my fillet knife. I was wondering what grind do those of you who make them use? Full flat, scandi etc. Thanks.

My choice for a fillet knife is a flat grind with a convex edge, or micro bevel. My thinking is a fillet knife is something you wish to slice nicely, much like a kitchen slicing knife, not something that's going to be chopping heavy bones. Remember, when filleting you're slicing meat off the bone, not slicing bones...... well, except for the fins perhaps. Heck, even a full flat grind should work ok. Since I sharpen on a slack belt at very low speed the convex edge just comes in without really planning for it.

So, basically you are doing Flat just not to 0 degrees. That is kind of the road I was thinking about, I should get a nice taper too.

You got it Chris - I'll usually take the edge somewhere around .010" to .020" - while that .020" sounds thick, remember with a nice convex bevel it works pretty good. I've took blades to a zero edge, but it always seems a tad fragile - even though they have held up ok..... until some dummy (me) decides to chop a slab of frozen ribs.

I’m 100% with Ken. A fillet knife is already so thin that it’s going to be scary sharp even with a convex edge. I’m a big believer in convex edges, anyway- and especially on thin blades that can really use some support behind the edge. A fillet knife also makes a fantastic melon slicer and all around great kitchen knife. I use one for boning all the time.

That convex edge is great on large fish where you may want to go through the ribs along the spine. For that purpose I don’t take the flat grind all the way to the spine until a bit out past the handle. Those little flats near the handle add just enough stiffness that the blade doesn’t really begin to flex much until about halfway down the blade. (using .070 steel)

Attachments

• 0785B46D-3BE9-4F4D-A86C-B71C6ACB8D89.jpeg
    0785B46D-3BE9-4F4D-A86C-B71C6ACB8D89.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 25
  • CE88C885-80F4-4C50-960C-DF0BC53D9D6E.jpeg
    CE88C885-80F4-4C50-960C-DF0BC53D9D6E.jpeg
    677.2 KB · Views: 26
https://knifedogs.com/attachments/0785b46d-3be9-4f4d-a86c-b71c6acb8d89-jpeg.68388/

That convex edge is great on large fish where you may want to go through the ribs along the spine. For that purpose I don’t take the flat grind all the way to the spine until a bit out past the handle. Those little flats near the handle add just enough stiffness that the blade doesn’t really begin to flex much until about halfway down the blade. (using .070 steel)
John, that full length photo knife is just too pretty to bounce around filleting fish! NICE work on that handle.

Yes sir, I'd be grinning ear to ear while I was filleting with that one John!!

My father had a homemade fillet knife, (back then we didn't call it a custom knife)! He would put a fresh edge on it and he'd always remind me. Remember if that knife is sharp enough to run through those rib bones, it ain't gonna worry about cutting you to the bone as well!! Then he would hand it to me, and at that point I am getting nervous about using it!!

Back