What’s a good lube for sanding wood??

Not if you’re just sanding bare wood. Just sand in progressively finer grits until you get to your final grit. For sanding a finish, I use water or the finish you’re using, IOW, wet sanding.

Having said that, it is sometimes useful to wet the wood with water and sand off the little fingers that might stand up. That’s a final step.

Agree with the others..... don't put anything liquid on wood when sanding..... it will just be a train wreck. My most important tool when sanding/finishing wood is the air hose....when I think things are good, I blow the dust off, and ALWAYS find areas that need more work. :)

That’s pretty much what I thought. Maybe Santa will bring me an air compressor, but I have been kinda bad.

Custom stockmakers of old often LIGHTLY (damp towel not water on wood)dampened the wood to raise the grain. Then after DRYING and the fur standing up, lightly sand and blow off the dust. They felt this opened the wood up to reveal highlights better... don't know what current guys are doing...this is Monty Kennedy era advice....But maybe worth trying....a custom exhibition grade stock is as figured as any knife scales and same use/look considerations. I have never tested side-by-each. It would be a simple test on a couple wood scraps...

Back