Well, dang.....

Casey Brown

Hamon's are a love/hate relationship right now. I think this one is too close to the edge for me to be comfortable giving it to someone else. I think I've kind of been struggling with being on the low side of temperature on my heat treats. I know I'm getting above non-magnetic, but think I've been too worried about overheating and causing grain growth. This one's W2. I'm obviously heat treating in my forge. I'm using a 2"x2" square metal tube as a ballast to eliminate hot spots.

Heated this one to non-magnetic and a little above, then soaked for 10 minutes. Thought I had it hot enough, but must not have been as hot toward the ricasso. I love the shape of it, so I think I'll be keeping this one for myself.

Attachments

• Fighter Bad Hamon clayed.jpg
    Fighter Bad Hamon clayed.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Fighter Bad Hamon2.jpg
    Fighter Bad Hamon2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Fighter Bad Hamon.jpg
    Fighter Bad Hamon.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Thanks. I just needed a place to vent. I decided to go ahead and finish it out and try some new techniques to see how they turn out.

Couldn’t you anneal it, sand/polish to remove the existing hamon line, reapply the clay and try again?

-andy

Around .012-.015". Way too thin for me to heat treat. Not too concerned at this point. Chalking it up to a learning experience. I'm going to try some new techniques on the handle construction on this one to try out on one I know is not going anywhere.

Back