Watch how I tackle a "large" "can" of Damascus

vlegski

Maybe its in next installment. But what tool are you going to use to saw that behemoth into slabs.

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
How many knives will you get out of that billet??

A bunch! :)

But what tool are you going to use to saw that behemoth into slabs.

I have a 7x12 bandsaw. I use a large piece of angle iron as a "rip fence", and go after it. It will likely take me an entire day to saw it up.... it's slow and tedious, but I've not come up with a better way.

MTBob

Keep the videos coming, fascinating. I've got a bunch of questions, but will wait until I see more of how you do this work.

Daniel Macina

Curious as to why you take slices instead of drawing out into bar form then cutting pieces? avoiding distortion to the pattern?

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
I use a 3x3x3 can which is about as big as I can handle. You are working on a huge scale Ed. Great video.

chrisstaniar

Soooo, got any pictures of billets from that friggin giant ingot of metal?

Would any of those be for sale?

Asking for a friend..... :)

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
No pics yet. But it did yield several big honkin billets/bars. I'll try to get a couple of the billets finished enough to etch and get pics this week. More to come! ;)

billyO

Thanks for sharing this, Ed.
As I'm getting ready to do my first can, am I correct in assuming that a reducing atmosphere is unnecessary when welding up a can?

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Thanks for sharing this, Ed.
As I'm getting ready to do my first can, am I correct in assuming that a reducing atmosphere is unnecessary when welding up a can?
As long as the can is sealed up tight, atmosphere type is irrelevant. The MOST IMPORTANT thing I have learned to do with any "can"...... have the forge running and up to temp. THEN weld the can shut, and get it into the forge BEFORE it starts cooling down from MIG/Stick welding. Unless you are a "perfect" MIG/Stick welder, there will be some tiny pin holes somewhere..... and if the can is allowed to cool after MIG/stick welding it closed, it WILL suck in atmosphere.... and you WILL get a portion that will not forge weld. ;)

billyO

Thanks Ed. Good suggestion on the timing of welding the cap on, I wouldn't have thought of that.