Washer Question

Frstr8

Designated Dog Photo Chopper
What type of washers do you use? Nylon, phosphorous bronze, other....and why?

phosphor bronze. It wears well and hangs onto oil for good lubrication.

Kenmore, high efficiency, front loading automatic.

Wait, what was the question?:confused2:

Nevermind.

(think i stayed up too late last night)

phosphor bronze. It wears well and hangs onto oil for good lubrication.

That's what I have always used to upgrade my balisong. What brought this to mind was I just traded into a high dollar folder and it has nylon washers. I thought it was odd and then I saw that Tom Anderson uses a type of nylon washers as well. So I was wondering what makers used for the most part. I may swap the nylon out for PB washer soon.

How do you guys rate Nylatron, as opposed to Nylon?

I can't tell the difference. I know nylatron has some properties that enhance lubrication but I think in a knife application with such a small surface and friction pressure it is hard to tell the difference.

I use nylon for the pivot on the tracking wheel and the tension arm on my Moe's Grinders. You were asking about grinders and not washing machines, wern't you?

I was actually referring to folding knife pivots. I guess I should have been more specific other than just asking the question in the Folding Knives Forum.

I use teflon -- I think Carson has been using it for about 30 years and if it works for him, then it will definitely work for me. :)

I think each maker uses what best suits their own methods and folder type(s). Personally I use .010 bronze washers almost exclusively. I think some of the other materials have advantages in that it's easier to produce a folder that works well, but FOR ME, what I consider "down sides" keeps me using Bronze.

I live in the desert and my knives get sand in them. What I noticed is that if grit gets into a pivot that has nylon type washers the grit bites into the washer and the knife has to be torn down and cleaned. With a bronze washer I have been able to flush it with rem oil and blow it out with air and that usually takes care of it.I have also noticed that when the nylon washers get dry they tend to bind up more than the PB washers. I also must say that my experience with nylon type washers is limited to cheaper knives I had a while ago. The knife that inspired me to ask this question is not cheap. I have ordered some PB washers from Tracy. I will try this knife with each type and see if I there is any noticeable difference.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.

Michael, is there a big difference between nylon and teflon?

It is my understanding that PB washers do not give the maker any leeway whatsoever, whereas the Nylon/Nylatron do give you a little. I don't mean to infer that those who do not use PB are not good makers, because that is not the case. I think it comes down maker preference.
-John

Stew,

In my opinion, while you can get away with not being as precise by using Nylatron or Teflon washers, that's not MY reason for not using them. My reason(s) are the facts that Nylatron wears fairly quickly, often times it will pick up bits of grit and score...and just generally require replacement much more rapidly that Bronze. I absolutely hate using Teflon washers.....it's soft, meaning it deforms, it picks up and grit/dirt and holds it, it wears very quickly, and as it "loads up" with grit/dirt, the action on the folder gets "gummy" and gradually more difficult to work.
Consistency of thickness on both Nylatron and Teflon is terrible. I've purchased sheets to cut my own washers, as well as actual sets of washers..... Of the two materials, Nylatron is the closest to being consistent, but I often find that there is a .001-.003 variance in thickness between the washers in a set, or in a sheet of the material. Teflon is WAY out there....I have a set of washers here in the shop that vary .004" from one side of the individual washer to the other!
At first I thought it was just a "freak" instance, but as often happens with knifemakers, I got anal and took the calipers to every set of Teflon washers and all the Teflon sheet I had in the shop....it was shocking. Two different sheets of what was suppose to be .015" material measured from .012" to .018! That's completely unacceptable. Maybe that's not common, but that, combined with the other "issues" convinced me to make the move to Bronze.

I'm in no way suggesting that those who use Nylatron or Teflon are doing anything wrong.....I just believe that Bronze is an overall far better choice for folder washers. When I first moved to bronze washers, it was frustrating, because at first, the folders made with them would not "work" as well as I was used to...I quickly figured out that by using bronze washers, it was forcing me to become more precise in every aspect of building a folder. No longer could I get away with +/- variances in parts....everything had to be pretty much "dead on". So in reality, making the switch to bronze washers has made me a better knifemaker...just by forcing me to be more precise.
Prior to going to Bronze washers, it was not uncommon for a client to return a folder within a year or so, with "action problems", in nearly all cases, replacing the Nylatron/Teflon washers solved the issue(s). At the time I just figured that was the way it was...and that having to do that maintenance was "normal".
Those washers were always full of dirt/grit, embedded in the washers. Since switching to bronze washers, I cannot recall a folder ever being returned for action problems.
For me a simple switch in washer material was a major revelation in my knifemaking career.

Last edited:
I have used nylatron washers (no problems) but switched to the phosphor bronze because they are more consistent in thickness and what Tracy said. Dan

Ok, so I ordered some PB washers from Tracy. I did think twice about tearing down the knife and changing anything because of the effect it could have on the resale value of the knife, then I came to my senses and remembered that I am a knife USER more than a knife Collector. So I took the knife apart and replaced the nylon washer with PB washers. After putting it back together I noticed something right away. It was smoother and more consistent. It had the same smooth motion throughout the action. I have to say in this instance the PB washers surpassed the nylon ones, however the nylon ones I replaced were a little trashed.

I also wanted to say that I believe this was the first transaction at USAknifemaker.com and it was top notch service. I will use them again for sure.

Back