WARNING - Potential 3M Filter Fraud Alert -UPDATE

MTBob

A few days ago I purchased 3M 2097 pancake filters on Amazon. What I received was filters were labeled "3M 2097 CN".
I knew from previous purchases of N95 mask type face filters that if filters have a KN suffix (N95 KN) that those filters were made for use in China, but sold here in the US. N95KN filters do not necessarily meet US standards. So I was suspicious that the 3M 2097CN filters also may not meet the US standards.
I called a 3M Fraud Hot Line and, indeed, there can be issues with fraudulent production and distribution of 3M filters. They wanted to have photos of the filter and the Amazon supplier name to determine if the filters were sold by an authorized dealer. They opened a case file for the inquiry and I'm waiting for a reply. What I want to know is whether these filters meet American NIOSH filtration standards and are for use in the US.
As soon as I hear from 3M, I'll post an update. In the mean time I thought you'all would want to know about this.

Here's the reference to 3M's Fraud Team
1606233533643.png

Here's what I ordered on Amazon, note that the label does not show "CN"

1606233676059.png

Here's what I actually received, note the "CN" suffix
1606232618778.png

Here's what the packaging looks like.
1606233071841.png
1606233874715.png

Here's the bag that the filter package came in - showing the filter was made in China
1606234553581.png

Last edited:
it’s a dang shame that we even have to worry about things like this. Seems some folks spend a lot of effort to (excuse me) screw people.
I guess buyer beware was coined for that specific behavior.
Thanks for posting and the heads up.

This is troublesome. Filters are hard enough to come by without dealing with this. I need to order some new ones soon (down to my last set). I'll be very cautious.

Lesson learned - 3M filters with a CN suffix are indeed for use in the Chinese markets and are being sold in the US by unauthorized dealers.

Here's the rest of the story - an update
- I sent the seller a note saying I wanted to return the filters... no answer
- The Amazon seller that I bought the filters from now shows the filters as Unavailable on the Amazon website.
- I called Amazon, explained my concerns - they immediately issued a full refund - AND DID NOT require returning the filters. I think they know that this product is unauthorized and it was a scam.
- Today I received an email from 3M saying - "We can confirm Shenzhen Sunfish Trading Co., Ltd. is not a 3M authorized distributor of 3M respirators. As such, we do not recommend purchasing 3M product from this party."

Amazon is awash with chicom knock off garbage. It's a shame because it's a great platform, but that has facilitated much unscrupulous sales to the US (and assume any other country that buys through amzn/china.)

Back