Warning about new Ipad and accepting credit cards & ??? about Paypal

Ray

Dealer - Purveyor
So, I bought the new Ipad so that I could use the App VirtualMerchant and accept credit card transactions at shows without 'phoning the transaction in (big noisy room, my poor hearing) The promise was instant verification, etc. After a lot of time invested in waiting on the phone to talk to someone and time setting up, etc., etc. the Ipad took transactions OK in the test, but when I went to close the app, it would freeze up the Ipad. Talked to the tech people. Uninstalled the app and reinstalled it. Same thing, only maybe worse this time. Finally the tech guy talks to other tech guys and finds that the app Virtualmerchant was not written for the new Ipad. All of this in spite of the fact that I had told everyone down the line that I had the new Ipad. The credit card processor is Elavon which is associated with Costco. Not saying that the app isn't good, not saying that Elavon isn't good, only be careful if you have the 3d generation Ipad and use them.

Now I see that Paypal has an online credit card system that looks a lot easier to work with. Rather than using a special application it's done by just going through a web page (apparently it is good for all methods of entry). It looks a bit more expensive. Does anyone have experience with the Paypal system? Other recommendations?

No experience with the Paypal iPad system but my wife has the Square system for use at
craft shows on her iPhone and completely loves it.

Dan, their site doesn't give much information about taking CC orders when not face to face with the customer. Do they have a provision for telephone orders?

Thanks for the help

Ray

I tried the paypal credit card system, and would not do so again.....there are FAR too many "loopholes" in their "small print".....any little issue and they can not only freeze your credit card account, but also the bank account that it's attached to. While it's not happened to me, I have several friends who have had the experience.....accounts locks for MONTHS, with no way to access the fund therein.
I have a paypal account, but took some precautions....it's attached to a totally different bank account, in a separate bank than my other accounts....and as soon as money hits the paypal bank account, it gets withdrawn and deposited in another bank. While paypal has it's advantages, it's obvious that they stack all the cards in their own best interest. They have a little too much control for my liking.

Personally, I can't think of a better way to take credit cards than Square, or Go Payments. (Personally I chose Go Payments). With either you will pay a bit more in discounts, but you can choose from a monthly fee, or free account, no contracts, and none of the "sneaky" fees that many credit card merchant accounts hit you with.

Pretty soon all banks will be doing the call transfers. I hope paypal has made/robbed enough money:D

I know that you can just type in a CC number instead of using the Square scanner. That might be enough for phone orders.

I use the Square card reader with my iPad at shows and when my terminal was on the blink at my store.
I highly recommend it. My money is in my account in three days and none of the monkey biz problems I have heard about from these other Credit Card readers.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Square.... Has any of you had to deal with support using the Square application? No one mentioned Cube which is what my wife has but has not completed setting up. I have been looking at this option because people dont seem to carry "that kind of cash" around to shows and markets around here. This would be the perfect selling tool!

I have been through several cc companies and have only found one that works for me. I am mostly a firearms dealer and most cc companies have anti gun, knife, weapon clauses in their fine print.

Here is the ones use

http://nssfmarketplace.com/company.php?id=118932&company=Payment+Alliance+International&term=

I have it set up through a web portal and I can use any Internet connection to run my transaction. The fee is $10 plus a dime for every transaction processed and just under 2% if I recall right.

Hope this helps, I went through a lot of pain to fund these guys.

Ky

Just a quick note about PayPal. A co-worker recently had to use PayPal to pay for a conference registration via credit card. It's the only transaction he had in months with that card. Shortly after, fraudulent charges started appearing from all over the country.

I realize this post is a bit dated, but....

I use square in my small sharpening business, and have had no problems. While I have never done it, I understand you can complete a "card not present" transaction (as in phone order) and manually enter the CC number. the only hook with that is you pay a slightly higher fee for that transaction. Like others have said, square is easy to use, your money is deposited to your bank quickly, and so far, I have not had any issues with the service.
Grumpasaurus

Warning about new Ipad and accepting credit cards & ??? about Paypal

Square has recently taken an anti-gun stance regarding transactions they will not allow.

I have been using the square for about two years and do mostly phone in orders. It has been great. I let my son use it for a garage sale and he put out a sign about cc and it was tremendous he said people loved being able to use their ccf at a garage sale. I have paypal also but have it in another account at a different bank. I have had trouble with paypal but none with square.
Square does not let you sale guns so that is a bad thing but not for me. I take cc for a friend with a saddle shop and it helps him out also.

Back