Vacum formed Ceramic Fiber Insulation tubes

Hiho,from down under,I'v have seen online/tryed to fine high temp1600°c(3500°f) vacum formed Ceramic Fiber Insulation tubes large enough to mod into a kiln

you guys in the states are so spoiled for off the self choices us$38 (au$45.80) for a tube that will hold a A5 + crucible ,here your barking up tree's trying to find them...& or am paying way more than twice the product price in shipping..=D.I.Y

I have used waterglass/ fireclay & expanded perlite mix's that served well..now to ram up the game from 1100°c(2200°f) to 1600°c(3500°f),so I know am up for a higher temp glue than sodium silicate (waterglass)..

Has anyone try vacuum forming Ceramic Fiber Insulation into tubes etc,I have a small vac pump

(& or if you get a old house LPG gas tank add a bit of water inside it, add heat at the base,wait for steam to piss out take off the heat,shut the valve tap, cool , add stout hose plumbing=instant draw down when u crack open the gass tank)

I'v made expanded perlite & waterglass tiles,baked in a old microwave oven,the perlite sucked a lot of glue,but baked hard,tis brittle so its a good back up insulation

,where as this new mission

hopes to by pass that brittleness,so I can add my 250k btu gas burner,( & or tick it out with FireDogs one and only "Rolynd's wonderfull Tutorial on = "Heat treat oven: How to design and calculate the heating elements" (its more relevant to me as in au we get 240v single phz house mains & I made a jig for winding S.S mig wire total cost au$45 for a spool of mig wire..(then my drill died) 1 step forward 2 back...

(unless I buy made in chaina high temp wire,wich is whats repackaged at a 4x's mark up here -let alone help paying for chiana's next aircraft carrier -but thats a different rant-& shouldn't go off topic)

so hay I'v gotten this far any input would be greatly appreciated on forming better glues than waterglass
how much glue will I need per say a 1ft dia x 1 1/2ft high tube.. and as for what can I get away with using for a big plastic bag(for the outer part of the vac or do I need a study chamber to draw down in on a suitable dia mould/tube etc...then curing problems to encounter....

this is for a A5 size crucible + my big crucible is the next ,next project as its big enough to gobble up a small person- I can bearly lift the bugger,so the vac formed tube idea will help in keeping down the weigh in making a tilt furnce..

Back