96.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 15 (1200 x 900).jpg
    15 (1200 x 900).jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 24 (1200 x 900).jpg
    24 (1200 x 900).jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 55

C Craft

Travis your sheaths are really awesome and the knife is great too. I had the impression for some reason that you were just getting started on sheath work side of the knife making from something that was said in one of your posts I remember seeing a couple of months ago or so. If that is true you are a fast learner, because your sheath work reflects a quality of some one that has been doing leather work for years.

Keep up the great work because you are really setting the bar high! :35:

EDIT:
OK Travis I just went back and looked at your biography and I see this:

member-N.C. custom knifemakers guild member Ga. knifemakers guild Teach knifemaking

I apologize for thinking you were a newbie. :confused2: I don't remember what I read now that gave me that impression! Awesome work on the sheath's!

Last edited:

Travis E. Daniel

GrizzlyKnives, After the stamping, the sheath is assembled and sewn. I hand stitch using the saddle stitch90% of the time. After sewing, the edges are trued up and sanded to a 400 grt, then rubbed out with saddle soap and water using an old bed sheet. A light coat of neetsfoot is allowed to level out and dry, then finished off with a coat of neat-lac. thats kinda quick for an explaination, but its really how i do it. I hope you guys like what i do

Travis E. Daniel

C Craft, I have been making knives for longer than i care to post here, but the leather bug really hit me about 4 months ago. I AM new to that part of the knife making. I teach basic knife making at Montgomery CC in Troy,NC as well as an advanced class. I actually study leather working just like a school boy and look for an excuse to pound some leather around something.. Mr. Paul Long is my HERO and the man has really helped me progress to the point i am now. If I can make one or two as good as his, I can die happy. Still have a long way to go. And thanks so much for the kind words

Sandy Morrissey

You hit the nail on the head, Travis! They do not get any better than Paul Long. When are you going to come back for a jam session with Chuck and Peggy Patrick?
---Sandy----

GrizzlyKnives

Travis, it's the NeatLac that gives your sheaths that soft glow, I really like them. I might have to pick up some of that and give it a try. Any pointers for applying it properly?

Travis E. Daniel

Sandy, been trying to come up your way just to visit. Hope to see you at the next meeting.

Grizzly, i use a piece of saddle skirting cut up into little squares , and use a circular motion when applying

Paul Long

Grizzly, I'm almost sure Travis meant to write Saddle Shearling (sheep skin) when he wrote "a piece of saddle skirting" above. It works out to be a nice soft sheepskin pad for applying both the TanKote and the NeatLac (separate pads for each).

Paul