Using a disk grinder as a buffer?

Mudman

Hey guys,

I was curious if any of you have done this, I read about it on another forum. Love the idea of a variable speed buffer, Burr King offers one, but at a hefty $3,400 it's a little out of my range.

So I picked up a 5/8'' arbor and 1/2'' tapered buffer point thing (not sure what it's actual name is) put it on my disk grinder, and it works! Not the smoothest running buffer, but so far so good. Wayne suggested gluing a shag carpet to a disk and using that. But for what I paid to do this, it was cheaper, and easier to deal with.

Please excuse the dirty shop- I work in my back yard under a canopy.

Hard to tell in the photo- but I got this bevel shining like a piece of glass and just as smooth.

Looks like an interesting idea. I am building a disc grinder right now. I may try that in the future.

Mud,
The problem with what you have will be working both sides of longer pieces.
According to Wayne Coe that has a forum here you can use a Disc grinder with some shag carpet adhered to it as a buffer and avoid the danger zone of a buffer. Perhaps he will chime in or send him a PM asking for pictures etc.

I currently don't have a disc grinder or I would set it up with the carpet for buffing work.

Yes I'm aware of wayne's method. I be getting a buffer in two months or so, just going to make this work for now

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Back