Unwelcome Guest

JAWilliams

KNIFEMAKER
Katie and I were sitting it the living room and heard something trying to get in at the a/c unit. Well we opened the blinds and this is what we saw.

zoo and moon 032.jpgzoo and moon 033.jpg

Sorry about the quality, trying to hold a light and snap pics. Yes it was a coon. And he wanted in really bad. Well we called 911, and they sent out animal control. While we waited it tried to get in again and was showing teeth. It was not a pretty sight when they got here. The officer snagged the little demon and when he put it in the cage it was like putting a tornado in a bottle. The coon came back at us ready to fight. Glad we were a wake.

Coons have my respect. I've trapped a few and they make a badger look like a girl scout when they get mad.

With that determination think Rabies. Be glad he did not get in, worry about your pets that were outside. Hopefully your's have their shots.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, I have trapped over 300 coons on my city lot (on the edge of 10 acre woods) in the past two years, I have two traps out every night, last night one coon actually pulled the trap apart and escaped. Had to rewire it with some stainless wire, it is set again. Some fool over on the other side of the mountain thinks they are "cute" and feeds them 40 to 60lbs of dog food a week. Please don't ask what I do with them, I maintain a don't ask, don't tell policy. On the other hand it is the balance of nature at work.

BTW: my last visit to vet was just this week, one of my three outside cats was bitten and cut. Three days in the vet, 200 dollars bill. Now you know why I hate raccoons.

Last edited:
Yes coon are rather a mean little cuss. Have a freind that has a leg that is a mess after he walked up on a coon. He just stepped over a log and the coon went nuts on his leg. Wayne we are sure that was the problem. He liked showing his teeth and was not scared of anything. JatMat I live near woods and I have had possum, fox, bobcat, skunk and one mountain lion. Yes one mountain lion, I thought I was seeing something but I talked to several people in the area (all deer hunt and hunt over things) saw it also. So yes I believe that many coons.

James it probably heard stories around the woods about how cute and cuddly you are. It just wanted to cuddle up and take a nap with you.

James it probably heard stories around the woods about how cute and cuddly you are. It just wanted to cuddle up and take a nap with you.

Not sure about the cute and cuddly, but I do know about the naps. They all take a dirt nap, I have the blackest compost pile you have ever seen. Leaves, kitchen scraps and some protein for the worms.
:1:

Well my experience with Racoons is a bit different due to where I grew up!

Since the late 70's the Coon,Possum & Coyote "Just to name a few" moved back into the California Sub-boards.

As far as Racoon go, They are in little band families that roam the neighbor at night for food & water.
I always have left a bowl of water outside that was for my doggies and on occasion I've seen them drinking out of it and washing their food.

I have fed them small amounts of food right out of my hand & watched them wash it and eat a few times over the years.

I'm sure they can turn into all teeth & claws if need be.:taz:

I just haven't had the experience? If I lived in rural area I'm sure that they Could/would be a Problem.
Then I would have to respond in harsh measures. Like I wouldn't want them in the crawl space or attic of our home.

Some of the Squirrels in the area have tested positive for Rabies and I have to tell my warmhearted Wife that it is a Rat with a bushy tail! and to stop feeding them peanuts!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Last edited:
We have no racoons here but there is an infestation of tree rats, it is frowned upon to kill them as well which is no good because they are killing all our squirrels. That is about as bad as it gets here. Also remember the difference between cute little red squirrels and tree rats.

I live on the edge of a state owned preserve and I see coons often. I dont mess with them...especially empty handed. They can get mean, and dangerous if cornered.

Back