Ulu My first try at this style

FGYT

HI Im from England and make new models when i get interested in a style or type Looking back at old well used designs you gus in North america have some great native blades to draw on

I started on the Nessmuk
then spent a fair time looking int the Crooked Knives and Elbow adze which work really well here as light but effective multi purpose wood carving tools

ive been wanting to do a Ulu for a long time and see how it lives up to the Buzz as a multi purpose Kitchen and food processer
In Europe we mostly see them as a herb chopper only

Started with a fairly common symmetrical version and took the dimensions of it of the web then a minimal play with the profile in the handle area

its quite a big blade ( to me ) and was fun to polish on hte mop with 10" of sharp cutting edge and little to hold on to

Its 2mm 52100 bearing steel flat to convex grind both sides
Scales are Carbon fiber over Orange G10 liners with Nickle Silver Tubes

and has a Black Kydex Blade cover

dululrgblade600.jpg

dulusheath600.jpg

dulucfhandle600.jpg

dululrgbladehand600.jpg

I Do my design in Auto cad and due to numbers get my carbon blades Laser cut and Pre heat treated in Sheffield
so i couldnt resist doing some scales down versions for smaller hands and maybe the little one as a Sewing kit leather knife

the 2 large blanks at he bottom are in 3.5mm 52100 and are definaley chunky :les: maybe a bolt on Battle axe handle

dulufamily437.jpg

little one in the hand

dulusmlblank400.jpg

ive used the large one a little in the kitchen so far and its takes a bit of getting used to but works really well

ATB

Duncan

Very cool Ulu patterns you have there.

The big one it sweet! and the smaller one's all look very functional. A Ulu is a ultimate Leather knife!

That's one of the names for them I have heard here in the USA.

Nice work!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Very cool Ulu patterns you have there.

The big one it sweet! and the smaller one's all look very functional. A Ulu is a ultimate Leather knife!

That's one of the names for them I have heard here in the USA.

Nice work!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Cheers

just looked at your website Now I really like your Ulu-cleaver blade gonna be difficult to get out on my head when designing my kitchen knife as all your features work for me and i dont like taking others designs. And I like the Chinese Choppers

Tho i might do a couple with the butterfly holes but purely as they look like the Olympic rings and we have the Pain of hosting it this year in London

ATB

Duncan

Duncan,
Thanks for the kind words, about five years after I designed and had been making my Rhino chop knives, 99-2003 I think? It was featured in a article in Tactical Knives Magazine.

The article was regarding Kitchen knives and I was the one custom maker included in it. Back then I was one of the few makers that did Culinary knives at the time.

The writer Steven Dick, Noted that it looked like a smaller version of a Chinese butcher knife that I had never seen or heard of? So rock on if you like!

The funny thing is that the five ring pattern isn't a true Olympic symbol.
It was a patten on signs of Nazi Germany when A.H. and his minions hosted the Games in 1936, and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Owens won a few events along with other black & Jewish athletes that were almost banned from the games.

Go for it if you can sell a few at the games.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Duncan,
Thanks for the kind words, about five years after I designed and had been making my Rhino chop knives, 99-2003 I think? It was featured in a article in Tactical Knives Magazine.

The article was regarding Kitchen knives and I was the one custom maker included in it. Back then I was one of the few makers that did Culinary knives at the time.

The writer Steven Dick, Noted that it looked like a smaller version of a Chinese butcher knife that I had never seen or heard of? So rock on if you like!

The funny thing is that the five ring pattern isn't a true Olympic symbol.
It was a patten on signs of Nazi Germany when A.H. and his minions hosted the Games in 1936, and huttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Owens won a few events along with other black & Jewish athletes that were almost banned from the games.

Go for it if you can sell a few at the games.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

cheers
ive started by looking a similar edge profile to yours ie ulu curve to flat but left it on the Ulu handle on as above so a asymmetrical blade shape. lik yours it should give the best of both worlds curved and a straight

Like the bristol bay pattern here
LinderB5500013-b7e15.jpg

This is one article ive been looking at for a while on use

http://outdoors.magazine.free.fr/spip.php?page=print_article&id_article=265&lang=fr

ATB
Duncan

Last edited:
Back