Ulu for Uncle

Kevin Zito

KNIFE MAKER
I’m 99% sure that this will end in catastrophe, but I’m having fun so it really doesn’t matter. So my uncle wants an Ulu. I don’t really want to buy and expensive piece of steel that is wide enough for an ulu. I went rummaging through an old barn and found an old heavy shovel. I passed a file on it and it seemed pretty hard. I hit it with my grinder and it threw good, complex sparks so I figured what the heck. We boil a ton of crawfish down here in LA so I set up my burner sorta like a forge and proceeded to heat and beat. I have it somewhat flat need to do more for sure. I have no idea if I am even remotely doing this correctly, but I definitely am being safe. Anyway, thanks for looking. Please comment ... I know I should use good, known steel, but I wanted to see what I could do with what I have. Thanks!DEA764D0-4619-4811-BB04-AE8FE1AB857B.jpeg

First I'm not a fan of the ulu for reasons that what we think of as a ulu is nothing like a traditional ulu.Its been commercialized in Alaska for the tourist trade to the point that it's a joke. Almost all are stamped out in China with resin antler handles and marketed as traditional native Alaskan ulus.Now a honest real working ulu is a wonderful tool and doesn't take that much steel.They have a curved blade and the handle is normally held on with one center post or two outer posts .the blade is riveted to posts.if you think about it for a little bit that makes total sense in that good steel was hard to come by ,a Smith would never have wasted that much material.Think of a push dagger. You can make a awesome ulu from less stel than it takes to make a full tang knife with a 4 inch blade.If this one doesn't work out give the traditional method a try and I think you will end up with a awesome tool for your uncle.

Thanks, I’m sure HT is where this project will fall flat, but I’m crossing my fingers like on FiF lol ... hopefully heat to non mag then quench in oil

First I'm not a fan of the ulu for reasons that what we think of as a ulu is nothing like a traditional ulu.Its been commercialized in Alaska for the tourist trade to the point that it's a joke. Almost all are stamped out in China with resin antler handles and marketed as traditional native Alaskan ulus.Now a honest real working ulu is a wonderful tool and doesn't take that much steel.They have a curved blade and the handle is normally held on with one center post or two outer posts .the blade is riveted to posts.if you think about it for a little bit that makes total sense in that good steel was hard to come by ,a Smith would never have wasted that much material.Think of a push dagger. You can make a awesome ulu from less stel than it takes to make a full tang knife with a 4 inch blade.If this one doesn't work out give the traditional method a try and I think you will end up with a awesome tool for your uncle.
Cool. I have seen what you are talking about, but I wasn’t really sure what it was. Now I know. It certainly does make good sense to not use so much steel... also makes it lighter.

I made an ulu shaped knife some time back and it has been a real asset for doing the herb chopping when we are making sausages. I havent done a smaller one handed ulu though but have seen a lost of videos of them being used and really apreciate the versatility they offer. For me though a traditional knife shape is more usefull. This short video of mine in use.
rHYuGd7l.jpg

I made an ulu shaped knife some time back and it has been a real asset for doing the herb chopping when we are making sausages. I havent done a smaller one handed ulu though but have seen a lost of videos of them being used and really apreciate the versatility they offer. For me though a traditional knife shape is more usefull. This short video of mine in use.
rHYuGd7l.jpg
I think that’s exactly what he wants it for. In particular, we use lots of fennel seeds in some of our deer sausage.

Kevin, did this ever turn out? I've thought about using a shovel, too. Just haven't tried yet.

If that shovel doesn't hold an edge I know the common go to for ulu knife steel is old handsaw blades.

Kevin, did this ever turn out? I've thought about using a shovel, too. Just haven't tried yet.

If that shovel doesn't hold an edge I know the common go to for ulu knife steel is old handsaw blades.
I’ve got it sitting on the back burner for now. Had a ton of knives to make for birthdays and Father’s Day ... maybe I can jump start this project again at some point.

Back