Two new sheaths

Doug Lester

IMG_0060.jpg IMG_0061.jpg
The first sheath is Ostrich leather glued over a veg tan leather backing and laced with a basket weave pattern. The Ostrich leather was originally a different shade of brown but I overstained it to match the rest of the sheath better.

This lacing came off better than the first time that I use this pattern by following a suggestion that I get the holes a little closer. However the lacing did open up just a little one th curve at the bottom of the sheath. The only problem with this pattern is that it is a real lace hog and it takes a while to do. This sheath took 2 1/2 hours to lace.

IMG_0062.jpg IMG_0063.jpg
The second sheath was made for a large camp knife. It's a pouch sheath with a triple loop lacing. This is a flatter lace than the double loop pattern and quicker and uses less lace than the basket weave. This will probably be my primary lacing pattern.

I used a new basket weave stamp on this sheath as well as a new border stamp to make the diagonal band. I also used a texturing stamp on the border. Still didn't get the basket weave a straight as I wanted but maybe with more practice I'll improve.

Doug Lester

Back