Two new ones

Doug Lester

IMG_0057.jpg
This first one is the first double edged straight dagger that I've done. Also the first blade that I put a collar on. The OAL is 8.5" with a blade 4.25" from the guard, 1.25" wide and 1/8" thick at the ricasso. Brass handle, mossiac pin, and copper collar. The coffin handle is out of sattin wood.

The blade was started a couple of years ago when I was living in Virginia and was put aside because I was having problems forging it to shape. I dug it out after moving back to Illinois and with the help of a guillotine tool was able to finish forging it. After breaking 2" off the tip trying to straighten it and then regrinding it and five attemps at getting the handle right and two attempts on the collar I finally got it finished

IMG_0059.jpg
With the second one I tried for the frountier look. The OAL is 10" with a 5.5" blade 1.5" wide and 3/16" thick at the guard. The S-guard and peaning block are forged from wrought iron and browned with Birchwood Casey plumb browning solution. The through tang handle is lignum vitae sanded to 800 grit. This is the first through tang knife that I've built and the first guard that I've forged and browned.

Both knives are of 9260.

Doug Lester

Way to go Doug. Those 'first times' are a bugger, aren't they? I've been trying a few of them myself lately and having quite a time.

Good job,
Carey

Back