Triangular basket weave.

Bailey Knives

Anyone have any tips on how to keep things straight when using the triangular basket weave tool. After a while things start to not line up as I continue to bring the weave pattern across the sheath. There always seems to be one place where it is just "off"

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

That's probably the toughest pattern to stamp. Most of the stamps from Tandy aren't perfectly symmetrical, so it helps to make a tiny mark with a sharpie on one of the points so that you can keep it oriented the same way every time. It also helps to make sure this little mark is centered, and that it has another mark directly opposite in the "trough" so you can keep it straight. Also, you van VERY lightly scribe a line that on your leather that you can use as a guide. Other than that, just practice.

I find it helps to strike every other space. Strike the first stamp hard then press lightly to mark the 2nd stamp to line it up then strike the 3 one hard go. Alternate the 2nd row so that the hard strikes start to sarong the soft ones then go back and strike the soft marked ones hard.

Travis is right they arnt uniform and if you turn them your in trouble . I grind the handle on the end flat and place a mark on the top with a file . Then I draw lightly with red marker the red fine tip sharpie marker believe it or not goes away when you dye the leather. .Some people say light pencil but it shows up because of the lead. It takes alot of practice to get good. Kellyw

I saw a demo at Batson's last week. The secret was to draw diagonal reference lines then emboss on a diagonal pattern not in straight lines across.

Ernie, I would be very interested in an elaboration and perhaps a picture or two of this procedure. I've been at this game a long time and I would welcome some tutoring on the use of that darned stamp. It is one I seldom use because it is so difficult to get right. I spent the high dollar price to get a set of three sizes custom made from Robert Baird Pro Series Tools and that seems to make no difference in the difficulty encountered. Thanks in advance.

Paul

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I will have to try the scribing method and marking the stamp. It does make me feel a little better to know that Paul also struggles with this particular stamp. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, guys. I was thinking about getting one of those stamps but now I think I'll take a pass on it.

Doug Lester

Paul,
I saw a demo with Ed Rowe using a basketweave stamp. Perhaps I spoke before I understood the problem. Is triangular basketweave different and more difficult? It sounds like you are doing something way more advanced.

ernie

Thanks Ernie, if it was any of the regular basket weave stamps you saw demonstrated then the diagonal line is the very best method I've ever used and it is demonstrated on my "Basic pouch Sheaths" DVD. Now, I'd still like to have someone teach me to use the tri-weave.

Paul

wow that is a neat pattern, not at all like the one I saw.

Thanks for setting me straight.

ernie

I have had luck with a tri-weave on the first try only. The next few ended up being hauled to the road on Weds with the other trash. I sold my stamp so I if someone asks, I can honestly say "Sorry, I don't have that stamp". Really watching to keep it overlapped is the advice of the few guys I know who say they can run it. Still they admit to being it being good about 3/4 of the time. Tipping and partial impressions to fill in gaps helps if it doesn't get too far off line.

It's actually very easy to do you just have to take your time to get each one line up but really not harder than a normal basket stamp.

The trick is getting it lined up in the first place. Draw a line on the project the direction you want it to go just as you would regular basket stamping. On this stamp the side point of the sticking out part is on the line and the same side inside point of the opposite groove is on the line.

I know that is about a clear as mud but I don't know how to explain it. After you get the first row it's just taking your time to line it all up line a regular basket stamp.

Maybe I'll draw a line on a scrap and start a run and take a pic when I get time. It's just hard to explain but once you see it you'll find it's not as hard as it looks.

Hey Cliff that line up recipe works just right for the first line which is a great improvement for me, but as you say you still have to line up each stroke very carefully after that. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Paul

It may work better too if you have a higher quality stamp. The one I have is from Tandy and like the others said I'm not sure all the sides are the same which makes it a bear to keep it perfect. It still does OK if I take my time.

I can keep it straight for the most part but it does tend to run off. I've even put a red magic marker spot on the leading edge to make sure I keep it aligned straight. I almost made it on this one.

Attachments

• triangular basketweave.jpg
    triangular basketweave.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 55
Here one I recently did.
DSCN2858.jpg

Back