Traditional Slip Joint Folder #001

Bruce Bump

Forum Owner-Moderator
I finally finished my first slip joint pocket knife. I numbered it #001 and plan to number each one from now on.

Swell End Jack w/Warncliff blade
It has a Sandvik 13C26 steel blade and spring
410 bolsters and pins
totally stainless except for the jigged bone amber/red scales
GLWJ cut out the parts and pierced the holes
Paul Bos did the heat treating on the blade and spring

These little slippies are very challenging even with the aid of waterjetting and farmed out heat treating.
I will soon do my own heat treating on stainless when I get my own rockwell tester.

100_3802_edited.jpg

100_3801_edited.jpg

100_3798_edited.jpg

100_3803_edited.jpg

Last edited:
Bruce it looks pretty darn good for 001, what will happen? to 001? - :)

Hows the walk & talk?

Congrats,

TA

The walk and talk is snappy except for some break-in (hopefully) in the almost closed position. What kind of oil is best for the pivot area?

I'm taking it to Chicago this weekend for sale on my table. It would be a good snag for somebody even with its minor shortcomings I think.

Oh no! Another obsession to worry about! :eek:

Someday I'll try a slippie, but for now I'll just focus on getting my fixed blades to come out right!:D Good luck with your new addiction! -Matt-

I'm taking it to Chicago this weekend for sale on my table. It would be a good snag for somebody even with its minor shortcomings I think.

If I make it to Chicago, do you think you'll have any knives left on Saturday, or is Friday really the only option to see any of your work?

If I make it to Chicago, do you think you'll have any knives left on Saturday, or is Friday really the only option to see any of your work?

Hi Mike,
I dont know how the show will go for me as its the first time there. I plan to use the lottery system for the 4 or 5 knives I do have. That way they will stay on the table for people to view longer. I have been to shows and there are just empty tables with business cards and a sign that is scribbled "All gone" or "Sold out" on them. I'n not sure yet when to draw names from the box. I hope there are names in the box. One time I put my own name in there so it didnt look empty :D

Bruce, You got any of these for 15 bucks? :) I hope Chicago goes well for you! I'm going to miss my Walla Walla's at Blade West this year. :D

Nice job on the Jack. Hope to see more of those from you soon Bruce. I'm a sucker for a traditional folder. Good luck at the show!

Maybe you can guess what's coming next ...

When's the WIP thread for slippies? :D

That's awesome Bruce. I have a feeling I won't do as well on my first one, but I'm going to try.

Maybe you can guess what's coming next ...

When's the WIP thread for slippies? :D

That's awesome Bruce. I have a feeling I won't do as well on my first one, but I'm going to try.

Thanks David,
WIP for slipjoints? Hmmm, that may be coming sometime. I'm still learning and dont want to lead somebody astray. They are getting easier though. I had to make a couple tools to make things consistant. I should show the tools I made maybe?

I finished number 009 last week. Each one shows some improvement and they are just a little less frustrating.

101_5344_edited-1.jpg

101_5348_edited.jpg

101_5351_edited.jpg

101_5363_edited.jpg

101_5356_edited.jpg

Last edited:
I just edited my 010 to 009. Number 010 is still handleless but just like this one. I should have scales on it today sometime though.

Thanks Jim!

Back