Toe in The Water: Marketing Evaluation & Guidance for Knifemakers

The Burgh

I'll be brief here, as I have no business plan for myself and am new to knife collecting (but not new to knives).

For more than 30 years, I worked in marketing, sales and training in the investment business, specifically fee-only portfolio management. My most notable 10 years were with the world's largest portfolio management company. Except for that period, I spent all of my time meeting with, being hired by and servicing investors who entrusted my (small) firms with $100,000 to $5 million to manage as we say fit for them. In that 10 years with the global company, I travelled the USA as a consultant to small, privately owned portfolio management companies. I reviewed, assessed, improved and constantly fine-tuned all of their marketing, publicity, advertising, sales and client servicing efforts (web-based, print, face-to-face, conferences, etc.) My job for each was to deploy their scarce resources - they managed securities full-time - into their marketplaces to minimize costs/time and maximize sales/profits.

If you are still with me here, Thank You! The following is my point.

After dealing with and getting to know a few custom, handmade knifemakers, it is quickly evident that: 1.) The thing they enjoy most is being at their bench, 2.) The things they enjoy least are the things I have helped other business owners achieve, all of which are to accomplish sales, motivate repeat customers and earn referrals from happy customers, and 3.) There are few, if any, business consulting resources for knifemakers.

So I ask "Are there any knifemakers out there who might be open to the above services?"

I'll leave it at that and hope for direct, candid opinions.

Thank You!

Back