Todays sheath

HELLGAP

Dealer - Purveyor
Its about 80% finished just needs some leather lacing in a double loop stitch and a strap. I bought some sam somthin studs but need to know really how they work . If some one could post a few pictures how the strap is sewen on and how big of a hole to punch and do you cut as well. Never used up so I dont wanna ruin a sheath. I think Dave will be glad to see less snaps on my sheaths lol. this one is Dark brown cape buffalow with a 8oz veg tan back and welt. Did a little stamping to finish off the edges appearance,gotta burnish,stitchView attachment 37623View attachment 37624View attachment 37625 and water proof.Hope you like the back ground a couple butties I found last year or so. kellyw

I believe you are talking about the Sam Brown stud like the one I have here.
125.jpg

You need to punch a hole just large enough for the stud to go through.
123.jpg

124.jpg

Once you have the stud installed put the knife in the sheath and pull the strap to the desired tension on the knife and lay the strap
on top of the ball stud and press down with a little force. This will leave an indent in the leather and tell you where you need to put
your hole.
Find a punch that is slightly smaller than the ball of the stud. (I cant tell you exactly which size this is because there are a couple different
size balls. Once you have punched your hole cut a small slit starting at the hole going away from the stud toward the knife...about 1/4" or so long. Try to keep the slit centered (not like mine in the picture)
The slit allows the hole to open slightly to allow the ball to pass through the hole. Without the slit you will have to fight the ball through the hole.
IMG_1493.jpg

Sometimes I run a sharp knife around the edge of the hole to kind of give it a finished look and it also helps the strap settle just under the ball.
I hope this helps.

HellGap I found out when I started 7 years ago that I had to slow down and not try to see how fast I could make leather items If it took me 5 days to make a sheath I started to do better. Your work is comming along but take your time on every piece and I think you will be surprised at the out come.Before starting try to picture what the finished piece will look like and make the changes before you start. Keep up the good work . KT :1:

Thanks guys I didnt buy the rivet style I got the screw type they were the same price at tandy and he gave me a deal at 1.29 each . I bought something else that may work are the domed floral scroled rivots. I took one to the grinder and sanded the harsh lip off more like a sam stud . I know they arnt the exact same but they were dirt cheap and I only bought 3 at 1.29 each. Thanks for the explanation, Kid thanks I do go at it gung hoe some times . I have lots of time on my hands Ill take it easy ive got some real nice leather to try . I wont show until the sheath is finished with a knife I think then it will show better when its matched up. Next time Ill get some rivet style studs . One more thing how far down on the back do you allow the strap where you sew it on . later kellyw

It isnt imperitive that you use a rivit style stud. The screw type work just fine. I have used them and put a drop of loc tite on the threaths just for insurance. The way you attach the strap is up to you. Some are intergral and others are attached. I think it is up to you how you attach the stap. I normally attach the strap before I finish sewing the sheath up so its easier to get to the inside of the sheath. Normally you want to have all of this thought out before you start so you can follow a step by step plan...kind of like you do when you make a knife. Let me know if I can help in any way. There are lots of guys here that know more than I do, I'm relatively new to sheath making myself.

Thanks Terry, but this really isnt about me, its about helping others. You could probably give a million tutorials on this subject...and I would love them all.

Eric you misunderstood. I meant your work is good so you should give advice to people who are trying to learn. KT:1:

Thanks guys and eric the sheath is close to finished its not even glued where I need to stitch most of the way on the welt but I stopped 3/4 way up I ended up deciding to leather lace stitch this one in a double loop stitch so I glued the strap on now and have placed the stud on I just used a drop of ca glue on the threads. I think I should glued the strap into the centre of the sheath but next time I will . . Ill post it right away. kellyw

Back