TKroenlein KITH 2019

tkroenlein

Well, I finally got started. After much frittering around, I opted to use 80CrV2 for my wrought iron San-Mai blade. The frittering wasn't so much the steel choice but the size. I've got a pretty good selection of wrought iron to choose from, but I wasn't sure how successful I'd be drawing down much thicker or wider stuff as far as how many heats I'd have to do and risk degrading the steel and/or crack or delaminate.
With much uncertainty, I started with 3/16" x 1" x 8" blade steel and 1/8" x 1" wrought.
I MIG welded each side about 1" apart after slicking it all up real good.
I also welded welded fluxless, as that's all I've ever done. Wasn't sure if wrought needed flux or not, but I did put the time into prep and my forge (NC whisper low boy) seems to create a reducing atmosphere all on its own, so I went for it.
I did 3 "welding" heats, the first taking about 20 seconds out of the forge. On the second heat, it had that real satisfying welded feel under the hammer, and one more to make sure.
It took surprisingly few heats to get it drawn out considering how easy I went at it. I did about 10 heats or so before a used the rounding hammer, and I was done a few after that. Looks like the billet will clean up at about 1 1/4" x 10" x 1/4", with just about a 1/16" of wrought on each side, which should work out great.
I took the trouble to write all this part out because I found surprisingly little about wrought iron San-Mai forge welding. Maybe this will help somebody. Or ruin them. Who knows.
There will be minimal forging from here on out apart from drawing out the tang, which I'll quickly abort as well if it goes sideways. I should manage 7" for the blade/ricasso, and plenty for the tang. I'll cut/grind the blade to shape from there.
Gratuitous pics. 8B27A41C-1784-49B0-A0D0-3A772D2DCE9C.jpegA5C55A18-CCD1-4412-956A-4D3E95227925.jpeg

Well, bad news first. I'm bad at following plans. Especially my own. I got the billet cleaned up and drew on the shape and measured everything 3 times and held up to the light 7 different directions and couldn't see getting the knife I wanted out of that piece of metal. So I scratched the plan I posted first and fired up the forge. It's so much more economical where material is concerned.

The good news is the billet was nice and the welds held up during forging. I got the width and length I wanted and have plenty of material left in the ricasso to get the size and shape right. It forged out real nice. Got the bevels forged in, but still plenty thick to get ground out right.
446B24AB-7D05-4933-9DAA-E3BF57C502A0.jpegF18833FE-908B-44E7-8D72-340AC6006EFD.jpegB0D53608-07C0-4CDC-BEB1-629FCCF067F0.jpeg

So happy I ended up forging to shape and partially forging in the bevels. After initial clean up grinding, it looks like I'll have a good proportion of wrought to blade steel. The wrought is quite grainy. I need to thin the ricasso a little and taper the tang. I think this is as far as I'll go before heat treat. 7036C16E-444D-47DF-92BD-CAC78A3A2AB4.jpeg

I've heard this San mai business can be sketchy in the quench.

So I have a question. Has anyone ever seen a hook knife Bowie? Is that a thing?

I was so happy that the wrought didn't shear/peel in the quench.

That comment about the hook knife was just my off color sense of humor. It came out real straight. I didn't even have to adjust it in the temper. 80CrV2 has always been real well behaved for me. I think it helps being able to use a touch slower quenchant.

Here's a little random of drilling for the guard slot. That's a stack of 4 pieces of wrought iron I forge welded together. Hopefully that turns out interesting. E97B16E2-1837-427B-9182-FBF1C5D2DB52.jpeg

Back