Tips on buffing paste?

Tod Lowe

Hey guys.
I bought some 400 grit buffing paste and have tinkered with it a little.
The instructions just say leave it on the wheel overnight to dry then use.
Im getting some little "fish hooks" in my finish right now and though I would ask the experts.:)

How thick do you put the paste on the wheel and how often do you reapply it?
Im open for any and all other tips or tricks on using this stuff. Like what wheels work best and what wheels not to use etc.

I know this isnt rocket science but there seems to be little tricks with everything to get the best results.

Thanks.

I assume this is the brush on stuff. I'm no buffing expert per se, but I use a buffer pretty frequently. You shouldn't be getting fish hooks though..the wheel is going to have a pretty consistent direction. I used the brush on stuff quite a bit when I first started, but favor greaseless compounds these days for the 400-600 grit levels. I still use the brush on stuff occasionally (if I have any that hasn't dried out). One thing you need to make sure you are doing is use some scrap and knock the hard compound back a bit. I find that these give a much more even finish after they are broken in. I use my finger and smear a nice, even coat around the wheel. You' have to use your judgement as to when to reapply. The wheels still cut pretty well even after the crust is gone.

Last edited:
Tod, with the stuff I used several years ago you were told to break up the surface, go with another piece of steal just a bit before placing your blade on it. I never did use it very long but had to throw out the buffing wheels because they were contaminated with the different sizes I had tried. Frank

When I tried that type of compound a number of years ago, I had the same experience as Frank.

When I discovered that stuff, I thought it would save me loads of time and effort.....NOT! For me it created more problems than it solved.

Thanks for the replies.
Im going to tinker around with this stuff a little more.

I would like to try this 400 grit on a CA type of finish. Then hit it with pink scratchless. Might save a ton of wetsanding the ca.

Also I use R.W.Wilson buffing wheels they are radial sewed and I have had better luck with them. And if you ever use them you will never want to go back.

Last edited:
Back