Thumb Bobs

dan van

I'm interested what you guys or gals are doing to construct thumb studs (bobs) on your knife blades (other than discs)?
Also if you install gem stones, what is required to add them to the thumb stud? Thanks, Dan

I make mine out of titanium rod. I decide if it will have a gem stone and what size is necessary for the recess. I am just recently again doing some file work on the "crown" as well. I then anodize the stud before installing the jem stone if there is one. Frank

Hi Dan.
Yes, I thread the thumb stud and drill the blade. I have an small lathe. It is necessary to do turn the lathe by hand when the tapping is being done to feel how the tapping is progressing. Frank

Dan.
I forgopt to mention.You can go to USA knifemaker supply and buy several types of thumb studs with pre drilled and threaded holes. screws are supplied to fit. Some custom shaping can be done on these. Frank

Frank,
Thanks for the info. I have previously purchased some thumb studs, but it seems that most are too big in diameter. I also am not a big fan of a countersunk hole in the back side of the blade.
I was at the Badger knife show this past March and was impressed, I saw alot of knives with custom made studs that appeared to be in the .125 dia. range with gem stones inserted in them, they had a clean look, not clumsy. Thanks, Dan

Back