Thinking of building a competition cutter any suggestions?

A.W.Stovall

Going to the ABS spring Hammer-In in April , and the cutting competition sounds fun thinking of making one I have a few Ideas , anyone ever make one and compete have any pointers on shape'steel any of that?
Thanks Anthony

I build one I call "Pry bar". It started as a 3/8" bar of 1095 that I forged down a little, it is still too thick. The ones I have used it in have always had a few tests for the sharpness of the point, like stabbing a tennis ball or poking a hole in a water balloon (that one is way harder than it looks). You can make one out of any steel that makes a knife and it can be any shape as long as it fits within the 10" and 15" rule. Most of them look like full tang bowies. One thing you should do is after you handle it go out and do a fast cut on a 2x4 to make sure you don't get hot spots anywhere on your hand. If you have one fix it before you compete with it.

make it pointy and very sharp. Like Barry said having a sharp point will go along way. I saw Barry's "Pry Bar " in action he knows what it takes.

Steve

Anthony would you mind showing the build or the blade when finished? Sounds pretty interesting to me!

Anthony would you mind showing the build or the blade when finished? Sounds pretty interesting to me!

+1 ... sure would like to see a WIP on a competition cutter. As fun as small knives are to grind, I sure love making sparks fly on a "short sword."

A competition cutter is where the convex grind will shine. The convex bevels don't have a tendency to stick in the cut as flat ground blades tend to.

Fred is the geometry of a competition blade too thin to be of use for normal chopping or use around the camp?

Last edited:
Shane those knives they use in the cutting compettion cut through 2x4's, golf balls, hanging rope, and at the end slice through a piece of paper I beleive they would make the ultimate camp knife , I have some 1084 and some D2 I'm thinking of using, so the design I saw that I was thinking of using didn't have a sharp point it looked similar to a cleaver rounded down at the end. but I'm still up in the air on shape. never done a work in progress may have to give it a try.

Since you have posted the original topic I have been looking at some past post trying to get and idea of them and saw one like you just mentioned. I think it was Rick Marchland that mentioned something in a pm once as to why it was shaped like a parang.

Back