Thin forged Chefs knife

Gliden07

I watched a Video by Nick Rossi forging a Chefs knife from a piece of 1084 1/4" x 1-1/2". He managed to drag it out to almost 14" and 2" wide at the heel. It's real thin and probably 95% forged to shape. How the heck do you heat treat a knife as thin as this without warping?? This is the link to video. Good video anyway?

Last edited:
Straightening becomes a part of the process. Check out Murray Carter’s videos on youtube.

Checked out the video. Thanks for the direction!! I still have to finish forging the knife and dont know if I can even get it to his parameters! But I'm giving it a shot!! I need to get it hotter for sure!! I have the basic triangle formed like he did in the video. Need to start the handle area next.

I've been to one of Nick Rossi's classes at a hammer-in. That man is crazy skilled. He makes everything look so simple lol! To answer your question...whenever I heat treat thin material I go straight from the quench to the plates as well.

Can ya plate quench 1084?
I do not know what our metallurgists will say on the subject but I plate quench anything in the 1/16th range. It may not be optimal but I have never failed to harden a piece, and I rarely get warps. I have two one inch thick aluminum plates and I am always amazed how quickly the color changes when I use them. If I am doing multiple knives back to back I always make sure the plates are back to room temp before I do another one.

Last edited:
I do not know what our metallurgists will say on the subject but I plate quench anything in the 1/16th range. It may not be optimal but I have never failed to harden a piece, and I rarely get warps. I have two one inch thick aluminum plates and I am always amazed how quickly the color changes when I use them. If I am doing multiple knives back to back I always make sure the plates are back to room temp before I do another one.

Do you just clamp and let them air cool or do you blow compressed air on it?

Do you just clamp and let them air cool or do you blow compressed air on it?
I just put them between the aluminum plates and I have a crown royal bag full of sand that I put on top as a sort of clamp. I have never thought to blow compressed air on it but my fear in doing so would be cooling one part unequally forcing a warp, though it more than likely would not make a difference.
Disclaimer: This is what I do in my shop and I am OK with the results I get. If anyone considers this heresy please hold your fire I am not claiming it is fact or even the best practice. Most often I do kitchen knives this way and an occasional fillet knife.

Back