The last ones!

jkf96a

I'm about worn out from being an elf. These knives are my last ones for the year :)
IMG_3159-e1639767868739.jpg

Beauties! I really want to learn to do a plunge grind that nice! Any wisdom to share?
Yep definitely. In this case, Wilmont makes a plunge grinding attachment. I think Reeder, DD work rest, and a few others do to. It allows you to cut the plunge in accurately on a 1/2" radius.

I'm about worn out from being an elf. These knives are my last ones for the year :)
IMG_3159-e1639767868739.jpg
Quite a nice assembly of knives. They are beautifully built.
The top two with the burnt scales intrigue me. Is there a story/history to the wood?

Last edited:
Those two are indeed wood with a story. The wood is white oak from a Four Roses whiskey barrel that was given to me by Gil and Linda Hibben. I sliced the wood and relieved the back to keep the original char marks.

Beauties! I really want to learn to do a plunge grind that nice! Any wisdom to share?
Hey, have you tried letting the belt overhang the platen or wheel just a tad…. 1/8-1/4”.? I’m not sure if plunges like this are what you’re looking for, but it’s a lot faster… no tools necessary.

Attachments

• AE2DD7F7-737D-4655-BF47-BFC49DC5E582.jpeg
    AE2DD7F7-737D-4655-BF47-BFC49DC5E582.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Hey, have you tried letting the belt overhang the platen or wheel just a tad…. 1/8-1/4”.? I’m not sure if plunges like this are what you’re looking for, but it’s a lot faster… no tools necessary.
that is exactly what I'm looking for. I've tried the belt overhang, but I guess my hand is not steady enough or something. I make a mess of it...

that is exactly what I'm looking for. I've tried the belt overhang, but I guess my hand is not steady enough or something. I make a mess of it...
They key is VLP. Very light pressure. You have to just barely “bump” it next to the platen. I’m not sure how tight of a radius one can achieve using the jig method as above. I guess it all depends on how small of a small wheel the jig will accept.

I have freehanded my plunges for 13 years, just got the jig in July :)

I can get pretty close by hand, but the jig adds another level of precision.

Light pressure, slow speed, lower grit. I tend to cut the plunge in to final shape with a 120, then refine with a 220 and 400 and hand sand after that.

Another advantage of the jig in addition to the precise radius, you can finish that radius to 400-600 or whatever on the machine, so you don't have to fight to get those scratches out of the corner of the plunge radius when you're hand sanding.

Back