That Was Stupid

Randy Lucius

When I do my handle work I wrap the blade in a WD40 soaked paper towel and tape. Grabbed a towel off the bench not realizing it had Ferric on it. I managed to save the blade but it was a lot of extra work for fifteen seconds worth of stupidity.
f1e.jpg
f2e.jpg
f3e.jpg

Great salvage job! The knife looks fantastic!

I threw a couple of 440C blades in my oven one day without foil wrap...stupid for sure. I was able to salvage them too...

Did something similar. Couldn't figure out how a shaded area developed on a damascus blade I was working on. I'd split cold blue on a piece of hide I cover my work area with. Didnt think about. But even though I'd covered the now dried spot with a paper towel the wet blade sitting over that stain soaked enough salts out to stain blade. Probably easier to clean up than Randy's since it got etched again. Still its a pain to redo mistakes. Bad part is I can't blame the shop gremlins for my mistake

Did something similar. Couldn't figure out how a shaded area developed on a damascus blade I was working on. I'd split cold blue on a piece of hide I cover my work area with. Didnt think about. But even though I'd covered the now dried spot with a paper towel the wet blade sitting over that stain soaked enough salts out to stain blade. Probably easier to clean up than Randy's since it got etched again. Still its a pain to redo mistakes. Bad part is I can't blame the shop gremlins for my mistake
I tried to blame the dog for my mistake but he wasn’t having it. :)

Last edited:
I hate having to refinish the blade once the handle is in place, but it looks like you did a really nice job! Did you take it up to a higher grit the second time?
It's a major pain refinishing a blade with the handle on that's for sure. I have one of these vices and it makes it a little easier. Blade was finished at 1000 grit. Had to step back to 800 to clean it up and then back to 1000. It's shiner that it appears in the pic.
vise_e.jpg

Beyond that being one super-fine knife - what an intriguing tool! Did you make that fixture or buy it? If you bought it, where at?
You got my wheels spinning on how to make it, doesn't look too hard... I think.

Reminds me a bit of a "Fractal Vise".
af031c6086a64cf131800b8757665570.jpg

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

Beyond that being one super-fine knife - what an intriguing tool! Did you make that fixture or buy it? If you bought it, where at?
You got my wheels spinning on how to make it, doesn't look too hard... I think.
I bought it Bob. Can't remember where but they are readily available at different places.

Back