Tandy's granite slabs and poundo boards

Denny Eller

I looked at the price for a granite slab and a poundo board at Tandy's and then figured the total price with shipping. Buffalo hockey. I went to a local tile shop that does granite counter tops and asked if I could buy a small piece ( 12" x 24" ). The cutter asked me what I wanted it for and I told him how I was going to use it for tooling knife sheaths. He told me that instead of cutting one for me I should drive my truck around back to the dumpster and take all I want for free. I now have enough granite to sink a bass boat. I put the piece I use for stamping on piece of horse stall mat and it works great. Zero cost and a great place to stamp leather and a good flat surface for laying up knife parts. And, it's right purty, too.

Sean, you are more than welcome to it. As a matter of fact, if you want to drive over during the week we can go dumpster diving for more.

Sean, you are more than welcome to it. As a matter of fact, if you want to drive over during the week we can go dumpster diving for more.

All of the above is very true story. Most counter top places have quite a bit of scrap at either very cheap or the best FREE. My only problem was I needed some much thicker pieces than the counter top folks generally have. I like 2 to 3 inches thick for tooling, skiving etc. If you need thicker granite try a monument (think cemetary munuments) company. They generally have a mistake or two laying around wrong date, spelling or something like that. Also cheap to free depending on who you talk to and how greedy they are.

Paul

Denton
Hey I appreciate the offer. Are the stripers running in the lake?
Wish I could make it but work has finally picked up and Im putting in 12 hour days again. I have an uncle that owns a kitchen cabinet store, I had never thought about seeing if he had any drops, but I will now.

Sean

The stripers are loving these cold nights and the fall smallmouth fishing isn't too bad either - if you like fishing kinda deep.

Another thing that works but it is not free is to watch enco for a free shipping code then order one of their 25 or 30 dollar surface plates. usually two plus inches thick and flat too .0002

375.png

Last edited:
Another good thing about the cabinet shops is free corian for knife handles. Some people like it some don't. I use it often and got a free truck load from the local cabinet shop.

A lot of good info here! :)

I got my marble slab from a "monument" maker. ie tomb stone carver in Lubbock. They sometimes get that nice three inch thick stuff that has an inclusion or two. I've been meaning to check in with my local carver. might be a good time since my daughter broke my last slab. :rolleyes:

Here in Minnesota, they sometimes use it as riprap on river banks, often times it is polished and I have found it polished and 3-5 inches thick.

Along with what Bill said, it was not to long ago that Enco had them on sale for I think half off and had a free shipping deal too. It happens about once a year. Just register on their site and you will get all the emails from them.

Back