Taking shine off Tru oil finish?

Justin Presson

Hey guys
I just finished up and handle with some nice walnut and did a tru oil finsih and it is just to glossy for what Im wanting. What is the best method to evenly knock the shine down? Steel wool?
JP

1500 grit sandpaper. I see everyone always mention 0000 steel wool but best I can figure its about equal to 600 grit.....way too coarse for my tastes and it WILL leave scratches.

Exactly. 0000 steel wool will remove the finish completely in just a few swipes. Then you're left with a bald wood and random shiny spots where the finish took a really good set or filled a void.

Birchwood Casey sells a product called "Stock Sheen & Conditioner"...... use it with a cotton rag, it puts a fine satin finish on Tru-Oil. It's basically a wax with a 2000 grit abrasive in it.

Nothing special. I usually go with whatever looks good with the grain of the wood. It won't take much.

The great thing about TruOil is if you botch it all up all you have to do is start over and try again. After all, it's just a couple of drops and time.

Painters have been adding talcum powder to paint for years to remove the gloss. As for the amount needed to do a knife handle I'd try a few small test pieces first.

Well, I'll go against the grain and say steel wool. I use the extra fine and I use it between coats. I use the same piece throughout the multiple coats and by the time I'm on my last one, it's broken in/filled up just right and leaves a perfect matte finish. I do it all the time and love it.

Back