Surface grinder sub

Frank Aguirre

I am working on my first friction folder and am trying to clean up the blade after ht and I can't seem to get it true flat. I don't have a SG and will not be getting one for a while, so how do you guys get the knives flat, the tip is not centered when closed, an I think its because i used a magnet to hold the blade against the platen, and it ground a little lop sided. Thanks!

Hi Frank,
I use a surface grinder and still have to check them for flat and thickness. I use a thickness guage and find the high spots. Simply mark them with a magic marker and touch just the marked areas on the grinder. It takes a little practise but works good. The thickness guage is only about $30 and even has a nice little granite stone attached. Let me know if you could use a link to one. Enco has them.
Check to make sure your pins are parralel. That has allot to do with the blade centering.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G9628/images/0

Here is the Grizzly version. It doesnt have the dial indicator mounted on it already like the Enco brand but I can seem to find the Enco one at the momment. Do you have their catalog? I think they call it something else but this is what I use anyway. this one is only $22 but you need to buy the dial indicator. Let me know if you need more info, I'll check my Enco catalog tomorrow.

Last edited:
Comparator Stand Here
$27.49 with an indicator.

You can buy a plain ole surface plate for $25 (12 x 18)
They are great for checking flatness, using as a flat surface for sanding, a heavy mass on your bench, etc...

PFSJUL gets it shipped UPS ground for free.

Great info guys! Here is a pic of my completed friction folder. I believe the drill press was not true when I drilled the pivot pin.

Picture1951077x808.jpg

Picture1941077x808.jpg

Picture1931077x808.jpg

Picture1961077x808.jpg

I bought this a while back at harbor freight, I believe it is a dial indicator correct?

I just need to get me that stand. Thanks for the links!

picture.php

Last edited:
Back