Surface grinder score !

bladegrinder

Well, after searching for a few years I finally found the surface grinder I wanted. coming from an active machine shop, original owner.
found it only about 10 miles from where I live. the owner is a great friendly guy and is willing to hold it for me until I get my trailer from 300 miles away on labor day weekend.
he said they have a bubble wrap machine too, so it'll get wrapped prior to loading it. YEEE HAAA!!! :D
It's a Harig 6-12 and should do everything I'll ever need it for.
It's another thing that was a long time coming and will go in my new shop. now on to getting a VFD for it because it;s three phase, gave it a test run there and it seemed like brand new.

Well, after searching for a few years I finally found the surface grinder I wanted. coming from an active machine shop, original owner.
found it only about 10 miles from where I live. the owner is a great friendly guy and is willing to hold it for me until I get my trailer from 300 miles away on labor day weekend.
he said they have a bubble wrap machine too, so it'll get wrapped prior to loading it. YEEE HAAA!!! :D
It's a Harig 6-12 and should do everything I'll ever need it for.
It's another thing that was a long time coming and will go in my new shop. now on to getting a VFD for it because it;s three phase, gave it a test run there and it seemed like brand new.

super score. congrats. now get to usin' it!

It probably won't be for a while, I'm still wiring up my shop but I'm close. plus I won't be moving there for about a year, but I go there all the time so I'll just bring what steel I need to surface grind up there until then.

I started looking about three years ago because I knew I'd be moving to property in N. Florida but I didn't have anywhere to put it up there and it wouldn't fit in the shop I have now. a couple neighbors up there told me I could keep it at their place till I got settled so the hunt was on.

I got a new shop built there now and I'm moving up there next year for good so I was searching hard. I found the problem with finding a good used one is that most are in industrial areas of the U.S., kind of few and far between down south.
then you add the crating and shipping and hope everything works out, I wasn't looking forward to going down that road.

One thing that surprised me is the price on used ones are generally all over the place, and frankly a lot looked like giant boat anchors.
I really lucked out finding this machine shop, it's probably the best laid out, well lit and clean shop I've ever seen.
he had four 6x12s up and running when I was there, a couple bigger ones and one that's the biggest friggin surface grinder I've ever seen.
I'm going to his shop again in a couple days and I'll get a picture of the big one, it's got to be the grand daddy of all grinders. :D

They sure are nice to have. Looks like you got a good one. I bought this last year and it runs like a top.
View attachment 74547

Randy, are you running yours with a VFD ? I ask because that's what I plan on doing. I've been researching wiring this thing up and am seeing that it has an oil pump that is single phase. the motor is wired 230 volt 3 phase 50/60 hertz. I'm kind of guessing here if I get a 230 volt VFD that the pump should run fine as long as I stay in the 50/60 hertz range. I'll be talking to his shop maintenance guy in a couple days and ask him, but I was wondering if that's how your running yours.

Randy, are you running yours with a VFD ? I ask because that's what I plan on doing. I've been researching wiring this thing up and am seeing that it has an oil pump that is single phase. the motor is wired 230 volt 3 phase 50/60 hertz. I'm kind of guessing here if I get a 230 volt VFD that the pump should run fine as long as I stay in the 50/60 hertz range. I'll be talking to his shop maintenance guy in a couple days and ask him, but I was wondering if that's how your running yours.
Mine is 110 volt. No VFD. I got lucky because I don’t have 220 in the garage.

I bought a used Grizzly G3104. It runs on single phase 220 which I have.
Thing is great, I converted it to 2 x 72 and I use it all the time.
They show up on eBay and Craigslist from time to time.

I bought a used Grizzly G3104. It runs on single phase 220 which I have.
Thing is great, I converted it to 2 x 72 and I use it all the time.
They show up on eBay and Craigslist from time to time.
I been thinking of converting mine over to 2X72 belts. I really need to get off my butt and do that. Do you have any pics of yours?

I been thinking of converting mine over to 2X72 belts. I really need to get off my butt and do that. Do you have any pics of yours?
Me Too...I have a chevalier 6-18 just sitting....don't have the energy yet but I should start the "research"....lol.

Mike...Great score on the Harig....looks like it was well maintained.

Naw...i meant you Steve...been "goofy" all day...low oxy today...called my cousin Joel "ben" on FB too...(I do have a cousin ben though...)

It's all good Ted, most of the guys I work with in the field are in their twenties and are quick to pick up on anything I say or do,
a while back I mentioned I just got a 52" color tv, they hit me good on that one...a color tv ? what other kind is there?
black and white damn it ! :p they got a good laugh out of that.

Back