Surface grinder belt conversion

Discussion in 'Barker Knives' started by John Barker, Feb 9, 2012.

1. John Barker

John Barker SUPERModerator & KNIFE MAKER

I'm almost done with converting my surface ginder over to belts. Here is a pic of a mock up to get the belt tension correct. I just need to drill about 7 more holes and make a few cuts on the plates that hold the arm up top and I'll be ready to grind! It will look a lot better then.

-John
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. John Barker

Ready to paint the steel parts and install the handle.
    John
    [​IMG]

3. John Barker

Here she is all painted up and ready to go. I ran a little test on a piece of CPM 154 last night. I was within half a thou. Not bad considering that I still need to grind the chuck and true the wheel. I'll post a video later tonight.
    John
    [​IMG]

4. JatMat

JatMat Well-Known Member

John, I love tools and seeing how they work, but I have one question. Could you share how do you change the tension to account for stretched belts or going back to new ones? I see the spring but it is enough to hold them right without further adjustment?
    Thanks,
    Jim

5. John Barker

Jim,
    It's not enough difference to make a difference. The spring is quite strong and at the tracking wheel there are several inches of travel. I based the tracking and tension on a Bader grinder. Besides, I won't be using J flex belts, so the amount of stretch will be insignificant. Good question. Thanks for the post.
    John

6. JatMat

JatMat Well-Known Member

Thanks John, I thought as much, however, I have seen several conversions with an adjustment feature. Perhaps their spring was not as strong.

7. John Barker

Or they didn't have as much travel. It doesn't take a lot of tension to keep the belt taught.
    John

8. paladin5811

paladin5811 Big Dog...

Looks good John.

9. John Barker

10. John Barker

Link to video. Little slow, I was running it with one hand, it just dies out at the end. My phone died... But you will get the idea.

-John

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j173/Barker01/?action=view&current=VIDEO0025.mp4

Here is a blade I did and then hit it lightly with 200 grit and 400 grit sandpaper by hand for a hand sation. Took 10 minutes total.

[​IMG]

I ran a small fixed blade last night and actually dressed the belt for this one. It was within 0.0003" over 7.5". I am stoked!

-John

11. Josh Dabney

Josh Dabney Moderator

Very professional conversion ! :35:

-Josh

12. MT Knives

MT Knives Well-Known Member

Looks nice, where did you get the wheel for the conversion?