Sub-hilt design - a start!

Stew

So a little while back I got this blade off Jamiemackie:

P1070285.jpg

I was at the hammer-in when he made it so when he put it up for trade, I had to jump on it.

I instantly thought sub-hilt and when I spoke to Jamie after I received it, he told me he had thought the same - destined to happen then!

I've been doing lots of looking round at various maker's work before putting pen to paper. I had to work out what style I like.

I've decided that the ones that connect with me the most are the more curvaceous pieces, such as what Lin Rhea, David Broadwell and Gerhard Wieland produce.

LinRheaSubhiltmk3.jpg

BillsSH55.jpg

274d.jpg

A definite must in my eyes is that front finger section to be a nice continuous curve. It just seems like the right way to go to me!

So, first sketch looks like this (done while watching Game of Thrones last night - great inspiration!!)

P1070301.jpg

Probably a bit too big at the moment but it may suit it better visually to balance with the long blade.

P1070302.jpg

Overlaid, it can be hard to see properly....

P1070300.jpg

...so I sometimes like to cut a slit in the paper and slot the blade in place. ;)

P1070303.jpg

First doodle done, plenty more to come! :lol:

That is no doubt a great looking design. Hope to see it when it is finished. Undoubtly it will be great looking.

I like the way Lin does his with the top guard curving down and the bottom guard curving up, such sweet flow! Broadwell knives are just plain SICK!!! Especially the San Mai fighter, totally SWEET!!! You've got an awesome opportunity with this knife, my suggestion is to make it a "Take Down", that way if you don't like it after you've held it for a bit, you can change it! The best way I know to do it, is to drill a hole in the bottom of the tang and peen a piece of all thread or a bolt with the head cut off, you have to cut a slot in the top end of the all thread and drill a hole through it, then a piece of mild steel peened on each side and you have the makings for a take down. It's basically a through tang design, so it will have a drilled and tapped butt cap, or a plate there with a finial nut to secure it together, the best part, once you like what you have, fill it full of epoxy, a little JB Weld on the all thread, the tighten her down for the last time! Good luck and NICE score!!! Rex

Back