Stropping compound?

Daniel Macina

Evening fellas! II am going to start sharpening my knives with stones. Just picked up two stones have one more to get and I’ll be getting a strop as well. For those of you strop do you find yourself using any kind of compound when stropping or just the leather?

Thanks!

Evening fellas! II am going to start sharpening my knives with stones. Just picked up two stones have one more to get and I’ll be getting a strop as well. For those of you strop do you find yourself using any kind of compound when stropping or just the leather?

Thanks!
I use either the white or the green compound ... I think they are somewhere around 1000 grit ish. Got to have some kind of compound... I’d think.

When I did use a strop, I used Pink No-Scratch on it..... Much depends on the grit of stones/how far you take the stoned edge prior to stropping..... all a strop does is knock off the wire edge...... if you have a buffer, it can do the same job in 1/10th the time. :)

Chromium oxide powder mixed into a thin slurry, something like the tip of a teaspoon handle with 3 rain drop sizes of water drop.
Use a paint brush to spread on the board. Also use the thinnest leather you can for your board the there is little give in the leather.
I have made hundreds of board using this method and not one complaint. Chromium Oxide is cheap as chip on EBAY

You can also use Auto sol which is very good, I have tried with hard compound but difficult to apply and the also did not have a perfectly smooth surface as with the other products .

If using Diamond steels some of the super steels might need 10 micron paste. And with all stropping you don't need to press hard.

Back