Stripper Dies for press

Gliden07

Working on a set of stripper dies to drift holes to make a hammer or 2. Let me know what you think? It's mocked up now need to cut about an inch off of drift and either make or buy a collar to weld to upper plate to hold drift. And then weld it all up. Still some more playing around to do.16357335335508186292980973697353.jpg

Well, nobody has commented yet, so with the understanding I know NOTHING about punching eyes thru a hammer I'll ask a couple of questions. I think I remember you having the Coal Iron press that's advertised as 12 ton? It has a 3" cylinder? If so, I've been impressed how well 9 ton works.

How much clearance do you need between top of stripper and the bottom of punch die base once the press is all the way down? I've never tried to punch a hole thru anything thick like a hammer. Seems like there should be a hole in the bottom for the punched metal to come out, but there's not. I'm guessing the metal is "spread" rather than "punched" out.

Be sure you keep us updated on this thread.

Ken H>

Need to take about an inch off of the drift. The real Coal Iron has no hole. They punch about 3/4 from one side then pull hammer blank out flip it and punch the rest thro other side. Check out their video pretty neat if it works as well as they show! Still have to drift hole to final size by hand. I have a larger drift to do that with.

Back