sting ray inlay

HELLGAP

Dealer - Purveyor
My latest stingray inlay sheath edges been burnished with gum, water proofed , saddle stitched by hand 8oz veg tan leather with a 4 oz cover on top the sting ray inlay. I did a little stamping nothing special but the knife kicks, Desert Ironwood burl , mosaic pins and lanyard with CPM154 stainless blade in a hard core skinner styleView attachment 369782012 knives 010.jpg polished up and my mark. Kellyw

Hellgap,
I like the looks of both but I have a important suggestion for ya!
Lose the snaps and use frog posts for your keepers. First they are quiet and add so much class to a sheath. A snap to me screams entry level work & thinking.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

There are places where a snap is just plain necessary and logical. Take the "Pull the Dot" line for example, you wont find a Sam Browne Stud listed in the jump ready rules.

A snap is lower profile in an around the handle strap like the one above, a Sam Browne stud would stick out rather severely.

The stud does ad some class in some situations, I use them consistently, but not all customers like them. Nor are they workable in every situation.

I hope this helps a little for you and Hellgap, and I hope I didn't sound too severe. :9:

Haha-----guess I have been doing entry level work and thinking for over 70 years. Sam Browne studs have their places, particularly in period pieces. Sometimes they are referred as "buttons" which is what they were replacing. If this is so than I am also guilty of entry level work when utilizing zippers, magnets and velcro. Poor, uninformed me!!!----I am smiling!!!

Haha-----guess I have been doing entry level work and thinking for over 70 years. Sam Browne studs have their places, particularly in period pieces. Sometimes they are referred as "buttons" which is what they were replacing. If this is so than I am also guilty of entry level work when utilizing zippers, magnets and velcro. Poor, uninformed me!!!----I am smiling!!!

Sandy,
We have never met, But I know you from some of your work.
On this nice sheath Hellgap has made the snap visually pulls you away from the nice looking Ray skin.

I may have been a bit strong in my wording,
Its just that a "Sam Brown stud" to me would look much more refined & classy than that big snap does for a Ironwood handled & Rayskin embellished sheath combo.

I am also for using what works and am all for Magnets, Zippers or whatever gets the job the best way.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I dont know. To me the sheath design would have to be altered to use a SB post. Given what we have, the snap seems to work.

Thanks guys I always welcome critisizm becuase you would never get better if you didnt get fresh ideas coming in . I have been trying to get some post type studs and in the future you will see some different styles. Here is my resoning why I use snaps . I very seldom have a protruding bolster or finfer gaurd thus I use the thin strap wet the crap out of it stretch it to make a tight fit and place the snap I like to leave a tab near the snap as a few customers told me its tuff to open with out a tab to pull. I have done another Ill post soon. kellyw

Thanks guys I always welcome critisizm becuase you would never get better if you didnt get fresh ideas coming in . I have been trying to get some post type studs and in the future you will see some different styles. Here is my resoning why I use snaps . I very seldom have a protruding bolster or finfer gaurd thus I use the thin strap wet the crap out of it stretch it to make a tight fit and place the snap I like to leave a tab near the snap as a few customers told me its tuff to open with out a tab to pull. I have done another Ill post soon. kellyw

Kelly,
That was my only intent. I use to make mostly large camp and Hunters and had one very prolific Professional guide & hunter customer that always wore moccasins reply to me when asked the choice of Post or Snap on his large camp & hunter combo?
I hunt, guide & scout. Snaps are noisy! Please remember on this and all future orders. I want nothing that rattles or shines!

You have a very Classy looking dressed up knife & sheath combo here. My intention was to help you present it as well as possible.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Nothing wrong with snaps in the right instances, I also think that a post wouldn't look right in this case.

Quick suggestion: I would start lining the inside of your straps after you set your snaps. Or, get some of those nylon buttons that connect into the snap to keep the metal from rubbing the handle material. Micarta handles you don't need to worry about so much but wood will definitely start to show wear marks from the snap.

Back