Sterling Silver Gator Belt Buckle

Discussion in 'Rick Haney Design Knives' started by Rick Haney Design, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Rick Haney Design

Rick Haney Design Well-Known Member

I wanted to share one of my jewelry creations when I was doing wax carving a few years ago,This is made & cast from sterling silver.I'm soon to resume my wax carving for my upcoming silver bolsters for my art knives,Kinda ala William & Henry.My intentions are to grind my tacticals traditionally,Leave my blade carving to more artsy folders.David Broadwell's folders have inspired to persue more art type folders in the near future,Carved natural materials.

I have some ideas about carving some interesting patterns & textures,animal compositions.I've been making tacticals for 6 years now,I feel it's time to move to more ornate folders & jewelry accessories.Cool belt buckles,Lanyard beads,etc....:DI'll continue to make tacticals.;)

Attached Files:

2. Jeff Pearce

Jeff Pearce KNIFE MAKER

Great work. I would like to see some lanyard beads.

3. Rick Haney Design

Jeff,Me Too!I just acquired more room in the basement to do my wax carving.Excited about getting back to making some cool jewelry pieces,It's been 5 years since I last carved on wax.I checking into the possibilities of taking my wax models & having them cast in titanium & stainless steel.;)

4. Jeff Pearce

Jeff Pearce KNIFE MAKER

That will be very cool.keep us posted.

5. Curt Wommack

Curt Wommack Well-Known Member

Hey Rick,

I think that's a wonderful plan. It suits your talents well. I can't wait to see what you have coming!!

6. Rick Haney Design

Curt,Thanks.I love to design & make tacticals,But I feel it's time for me to step up into more artsy creations.Thus allowing me more funds to continue my goal to be full-time,Knives & jewelry on my table can't hurt!:D

7. Curt Wommack

Curt Wommack Well-Known Member

I remember talking with you about that very thing at Blade last year. I think it's absolutely the right thing for you. Besides you might even find a way to allow some of the "artsy" to subtly migrate into the tactical from time to time. $$ Cha Ching $$

Good luck with it!:)

8. Rick Haney Design

Curt,We did discuss me doing more art folders at Blade last year.Cha Ching is a good thing!2thumbs

9. Drago

Drago Guest

Rick,

The belt buckel is very nice. Great detail.

I can only see things getting better for you if you go the art rout. Already you have a great blend of tactical and art. I think you would make some very beautiful art knives.

10. Rick Haney Design

Daniel,Thanks.I have some Bertie Reitvelt damascus & Chad Nichols to make my first real bling folder with.:D

11. D.Douglas

D.Douglas Well-Known Member

Hi Rick, Buckle looks great! I am in the jewelry trade and do alot of wax carving. I recently carved some wax guards for some pre bought blades and had them cast in white bronze. I checked into the cast stainless steel but it was pretty pricey. Hope to see some of your work in the future. Doug

12. Rick Haney Design

Doug,Thanks.I'm looking into possibily having some designs cast in stainless,Would really like to have them cast in titanium too.I know the costs are pricey,I guess I can dream a little!;)How much is pricey?My wallet is thin.:eek:

13. D.Douglas

D.Douglas Well-Known Member

Rick, The place i checked with said they could piggy back a guard 75.00 bucks for 316 because they cast that alot. That was to much for a simple guard. If you were going to cast multiple pcs then they could dedicate a flask 300.00 and for 80.00 that would get you a crucible that you could reuse for whatever type of steel you were using. They said they could do 25 to 30 guards in one flask. That brought the price down to about 15.00 a pc. But i didnt need that many. I ended up getting them done in white bronze for about 25.00 a pc from a different place.

14. Rick Haney Design

Doug,Thanks for the info.:D