Stag Handles Clip Point Rasp Knife- Two Requests

Bill Hubbell

KNIFE MAKER
Here's one I finally finished. Ferrier's Rasp, forged a little to broaden the belly (and for the marks). I had to straighten the stag- all pieces I had were curved too much. Overall: 13 3/4", Blade: 85/8" by 3/16".

Request 1: Please comment on things you would have done different or better (and I wouldn't mind a couple of kind positive remarks either!)

Request 2: Any suggestions for sheath style? I have three sheaths to make, so I'm gonna get out the leather stuff.

Thx Guys,
Bill
A.jpgB.jpgC.jpg

I would have made the ricasso the same height (top to bottom) as the handle. Meaning, I would have aligned the top of the handle to the top line of the spine and made the bottom edge of the ricasso match the bottom line of the handle.

I think the lines and flow are extremely disrupted by having the handle so far below the spine line. As my eye travels along the spine, through the guard and then to that drastic drop to the handle, I find it very distracting.

Using a piece of the rasp on the flat for the butt cap is a neat touch.

What John said for sure.

The right side seems to be "rougher" than the left, I'd try to get them balanced out. Love the handle butt.
Sheath I think a "frontier" style with buckskin and/or some fringe would look appropriate.
Congrats for getting one finished, lots of folks never get this far. WDL III

Thx guys. It seems so obvious now that you say it John! I just didn't feel good about the look while building but wasn't sure why. I did see the broken flow. Guess I should do another similar one and try to improve on that. I will likely refer back to your wording when I do. WDL- do you mean the blade or the stag (rougher in right side)? Thanks for the input on a sheath too- maybe I will check out Tandy for some buckskin. Really- THX

Back