Stag and Copper hidden tang

Steven Janik

SUPERMOD & AWARDS BOSS
1095 and 15N20 Damascus originally cut out to be a full tang, I did some file work on the tang and hated it and threw it aside for about 2 months.

Finally decided to salvage it and make it a hidden tank so I ground the tang down, split the end of a 1/4-20 bolt and pinned it thru the tang to hold the handle on.

I made a guard out of .55 thick copper bar, drilled out a piece of stag that I got from Tracy. (check out the stag on his site).

Counterbored the butt end of the stag to accept a flat washer and nylock nut. Had to go a little deeper than this to get the threads to seat in the nylon ring.

The guard is final shaped and the stag is close to fitting but a little oversize. I fill the handle with T88 epoxy, crank down the nylock nut on the aligned handle and glue a buffalo horn piece for the pommel or butt cap.

Shaped, sanded and polished the pommel, final fitted the stag to the back of the guard, polished the guard and put a coat of paste wax and a light buff on the stag.

Not sure if you can see it but the guard is pinned with a .125 diameter mosaic pin. The sheath is something I had in stock, nothing special and this piece has a new owner who will get a custom sheath made.

Thanks for looking,
Steve

stag6.jpgstag5.jpgstag8.jpgstag7.jpgstag2.jpgstag3.jpgstag4.JPGstag1.jpg

Last edited:

BruceM

Great looking knife Steve. I like the copper guard between the stag and damascus, nice combo. Boss has some nice stag!
Bruce

franklin

Steve great looking knife, man hope you didn't throw mine in the closet lol, were you get guard material that thick? man i love this 1 and to think you were going to scrap great save!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!