Stacked Leather Handle on a Full Tang Knife

curtisk

Ernie Grospitch and I have playing with the idea of stabilizing leather for several months now. My personal goal was to make a stacked leather handle on a full tang knife. Well sir, after lots of trial and error and the sharing of ideas with Ernie I final got it. I decided to put it on one of my work knives with all copper Loveless style bolts made by my buddy Jeff Petzke. I am very pleased with the results. Ernie has some photos on his website too. Curtis BNSL Leather Handle forge etch.jpg

Well that is new and I love the resulting look. I read your post looked at the pic, went back and re-read the post and then went back to look at the knife, before I really realized what you two have accomplished.

A stacked look in a slab, whoa that is cool! :happy: I think you all have hit on something there! :35:

what a great idea and ripper result .. this "stabilising" is way more than what i know here ... more to learn i see . great stuff with the leather , cheers !

The full tang with the H washers looks great curtisk, like the old Western sport knives.
I've been stabilizing my own leather washers for about 3 years now and depending on the leather used, you can get different looks every time. This past year I had scales done professionally and it worked out very well. I do a lot of stacked leather, it's always been my favorite look.

2013_1225leatherscales0006.JPGKnifeShow 024.JPGKnifeShow 130.jpg

Rudy

Back