Specific handle shaping question.

Mark Barone

The few knifes I have made, I kept the ricasso area part of the handle at 90 degrees. I would like to have a Little less than 90 , but I am afraid I will overshoot it or not make it the same on both sides. Not my knife below but This is what I would like to accomplish. I can give the scales that half moon front using my belt sander and keeping both scales together using the pins. Is this slightly less than 90 degrees just sanded or filed by eye. I have tried before and I have overshot it and made the "wood bevel"to big. I hope I am being clear.

Attachments

• IMG_3893.JPG
    IMG_3893.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 7
I make the half moon with the pins in place then take the scales part.I put my work rest in place with the wheel in place and go over the front to create a bevel. i cut with a 60 grit then change to a 400 grit. Go slow and match. Buff and ready to glue then.

I make the half moon with the pins in place then take the scales part.I put my work rest in place with the wheel in place and go over the front to create a bevel. i cut with a 60 grit then change to a 400 grit. Go slow and match. Buff and ready to glue then.

Thank you. What do you mean put your work place and wheel in place ( do you tilt the work place)?

Back