Sometimes ignorance is bliss....

Bailey Boat

Last week I decided that I had to make a couple of sheaths out of self defense. I normally refer my leather work to a much better leather worker than I will ever be. Anyway I decided I needed a piece of granite to work this leather on so I stopped by a granite countertop/headstone place and asked to buy a small piece.
He asked how large and I said about 12" x 12" fearing what the price was going to be. He says to follow him and we go to the "scrap" pile. I immediately focused in on the sink cut out pieces and found a really nice one in black. It measures 15" x 13" x 1.5" thick and is very heavy. I asked how much and he says to just take it and don't worry about it!! COOL !!
I get this thing home and quickly figure out that I really don't need it to work leather with except for the tooling.
What I did discover this morning is that it also makes a great surface plate for when I need a dead flat surface for sanding. So if anyone needs something like that check with the various shops in your area and see if you can score one for nothing.....

Nice to get some free stuff once in a while, isn't it. Nice score, I got mine from changing out someone powder room vanity top, couldn't bear the thought of throwing this nice piece of black granite in the garbage, so I repurposed it into my sanding plate/surface plate. Good luck with the leather work, I'm learning myself too.

Wayne

I was given a huge one about 24" X 30" say 10 years ago. After asking me about it a good knife maker friend went into a counter making store and was given two smaller ones. The granite ones are super: the marble ones are on the soft side.
Frank

Back